Weevil Project on Lake Scugog

ty1on

They get rid of the milfoil and then some other weed takes over. It's a losing battle in my experience.

One of those weeds is that stinky bottom weed that can grow to the surface and you can never drive through it with a motor.

They get rid of the milfoil and then some other weed takes over. It's a losing battle in my experience.

One of those weeds is that stinky bottom weed that can grow to the surface and you can never drive through it with a motor.

Eurasian Milfoil is particularly pervasive. Other weeds will not spread nearly as quickly as this one.

I would be interested in if either group has data that supports the winter survival of the weevils. The species they are using is from the Southern States, and at a $1 per bug.....who's going to pony up the cash every season? I recall about $15000 of weevils being dumped in Scugog 3 years ago.....how's the milfoil doing?

I would be interested in if either group has data that supports the winter survival of the weevils. The species they are using is from the Southern States, and at a $1 per bug.....who's going to pony up the cash every season? I recall about $15000 of weevils being dumped in Scugog 3 years ago.....how's the milfoil doing?

Milfoil is doing just fine!

I was doing some reading on the weevils last year and apparently it takes about 3000 of them to the acre to be effective. With a surface area of about 16,800 acres it would take about 50,400,000 weevils and @ $1.00 per. Sounds like something only a Liberal government might consider reasonable!

Sorry about the link, it worked on different email but is certainly not working on this. Here is a different link that should work http://enviroscienceinc.com/category/milfoil-solution/

The weevils actually are found in Northern Ontario and winter quite well, they actually come onto land over the winter. They are being bred a facility at Fleming College and were implanted into some lakes in Sudbury last year.

The original test spot on the west side of the lake is also doing quite well. It is the hopes that with this test site will allow home owners and community organizations to apply for a permit from Ontario Waterways with little delay. Not all areas are as bad as others so if there was a stretch in front of ten homes or so it would make the appication process a lot less difficult. If you are able to get rid of the milfoil a native plant/weed will most likely replace it but will also not be as dense.

I like milfoil also, but when it covers the whole lake, it is a problem for boating.

That skunk weed took over very quickly in areas that used to have milfoil on Pigeon and then no fish in those areas during the day. The milfoil has made a come back in some of those areas.

Edited by jimmer

Ty1on

If the weevils are being bred at Fleming, what's with the partnership with Enviroscience? They are the supplier are they not?

With the Ontario Waterways cut backs a couple of years ago to their Resource Conservation staff, I'm not entirely sure your permit will be all that swift.

I'm aware of them overwintering on/in the banks, but if the TSW can't or should i say doesn't maintain the water levels.....what impacts will that have on the weevils.

Biological control on an invasive plant that already has a strangle hold on the lake....tossing money down the bog.

The permit has already been approved and with this project it should become easier for others in the near future. The contact for Ontario graduated from Fleming and was working closely with Enviroscience during his time at Fleming. His name is Kyle Borrowman. He will be doing the presentation at Scugog Arena on Thursday July 7th.