Cleaning alloy rims on cars NF

Hi guys I went to clean the rims on my car today (a weekly procedure using a hose and an old rag), but this time there appears to be road grime and break dust actually baked into the finish of the rim. I tried the "rim cleaner" solutions that you buy in the bottle, and have used a lot of pressure with the rag, but this road grime wont come off.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can remove this grime from the finish of the rim? Im seriously freaking out here

Matt.

A product called coil cleaner mixed 50/50 spray on and wash off. Be careful do not let it sit on for more than 2 or 3 minutes it. We use it to clean aluminum A/C coils make sure what you are trying to get off is not corrosion on the wheel it will only accent it if your rims are chemically damaged.

Art

if neither of those work, at dealerships you can most likely get them cleaned, I worked at Budd's BMW and we had some stuff called hd rim cleaner and it was a mild acid diluted with water and cleaned brake dust off with ease

What did you put on the wheels that caused the tearing? Before I would be testing acid products or abrasives on them you might want to see your Beemer dealer. You could try a new product or home remedy on the inside of the rim if it is finished as the outer rim is. Then if it goes bad you really will never see it. Beware not to let any liquid drip onto the good side. Refinishing them is a costly venture.

We can get into the metallurgy of the metal and that will tell you what is a compatible product, or ask the dealer. I'd go to the dealer first.

edit, Looked closer at your pic, looks to be a powder coat or similar finish, do not use an abrasive like SOS even a nylon scrubbie on those beauties. Never in my opinion, oops professional opinion. We had a detailing business back when I cared more for my car then my date. Things have changed, honey are you reading this?

Edited by Old Ironmaker