Outboard Service / lack of customer service

Can_38

Long story short. Had a Port Perry service shop weld a new skeg & general maintenance package on my '94 40hp. $600 later I take the boat home, two weeks later I purchased a new boat in Parry Sound. Parry Sound fellas mount my 40hp onto the new Legend Pro and while doing so the "new' welded skeg breaks off....Parry Sound says the weld was brutal but owned up to breaking it and had it welded again (a much better job mind you) at their expense! = good customer services.

Fast forward 3 weeks and boat goes for its maiden voyage, only put 10min on it maybe and operated okay a few hicups but nothing to crazy for sitting all winter. Now I take my son out for some fishing and the outboard was brutal with severe jolting. Back to the ramp we go.....drop off at the Port Perry shop (sucker for punishment i am) and told them they owed me a favor for litterly stealing my $. Port Perry calls me and is now blaming the Parry Sound crew for not placing lower unit oil back in.

It has been 5 days now and Port Perry has still not begun to service my outboard. Just off an upleasant phone call telling me if I don't like their service to come pick it up :wallbash: . Now after this phone conversation I feel like they are really going to take me to the cleaners with an outragious bill.

OMG I am so angry!

Where are you located?

I took my engine in for some service this year. First time its been in a shop. I had no reverse gear. They called me 2 weeks later, said they couldnt find anything wrong. I picked it up the next day, dropped it in the lake, put it in reverse and had nothing but clicking.....nice job eh? grrrr

Ive been using it for the last couple weeks with no reverse because I dont know where to take it. Never needed service on this engine, and ive had it since '93.

Ive had mclarens, between lindsay and cameron do the water pump one time, and they were good. Might try them next....

S.

i wouldn't even be messing around and it would be in Parry Sound already at the original dealer's shop. I'm sure its a PITA but that's the chance we take buying out of town sometimes....I certainly wouldn't be paying the Port Perry shop more than their min. 1 hour shop rate and tell them you'll be letting many know about their service as you sign the invoice. Good Luck. Down time sucks!

I'd pull it out of there as well.

I've dealt with Robinson Marine on hwy 35 north of Lindsay before and have always had good service from them on a few boats now. (Larry was the tech the last time I was there) Discount Marine in the central GTA is good as well. (Bill is the tech I dealt with there) If you don't mind the tow, than Giesler Marine in Powassan has a good group of guys working there. ;)

I'd pull it out of there as well.

I've dealt with Robinson Marine on hwy 35 north of Lindsay before and have always had good service from them on a few boats now. (Larry was the tech the last time I was there) Discount Marine in the central GTA is good as well. (Bill is the tech I dealt with there) If you don't mind the tow, than Giesler Marine in Powassan has a good group of guys working there. ;)

Yes, Larry at Robinson is who I meant when I said Mclarens. Its at Mclarens Creek....duh....brain fart. I think that's where mine will end up next.

S.

Yes, Larry at Robinson is who I meant when I said Mclarens. Its at Mclarens Creek....duh....brain fart. I think that's where mine will end up next.

S.

Lol. I've always found them to be fair and knowledgeable. You should be OK with Larry taking care of you.

Thanks for the plug Will :)
The bad ground fix is still OK?

Sinker, it's possible the shift linkage may be out of adjustment or your clutch dog is worn out allowing the reverse slip.

The guys at the shop didn't do a thorough test, probably just did a dry shift with no load.

As far as I know it is OK, worked great when I left. The boat hasn't seen water since I saw you last. :( Fixing a few more things during the week if time allows and perhaps have it in the water this weekend again. Thanks again for your help Bernie!!

Sinker, it's possible the shift linkage may be out of adjustment or your clutch dog is worn out allowing the reverse slip.

The guys at the shop didn't do a thorough test, probably just did a dry shift with no load.

Hey Bernie,

Ive adjusted the shift rod as far in favour of reverse as I can without losing forward, so I think ive ruled that out.

You're right though, they tested it on muffs, and it is fine that way. Even at an idle in the water it works, just when I give it any throttle it clicks. Clutch dog? Isnt it more common to lose forward gear before reverse? The clicking sounds like it comes from just below the engine, not down in the leg, or gear case. Im pretty handy with this sort of stuff, but im not sure I want to start taking things apart.

Its a 40hp, 2 cyl, 2 stroke, yamaha built mariner, longshaft, tiller.....no electric on it at all.

Any suggestions?

S.

Honestly Sinker, I don't know enough about those outboards to give you a full answer for that.

Most of my outboard experience was many years ago and were Johnson/Evinrudes.

Sounds travel though a solid really fast, so it still may be coming up from below.

I suppose it is possible the spline where the driveshaft slides into the engine block may be slipping in reverse, but not likely.

Still would most suspect the issue at the bottom.

S.

I have been to them for a few things and they have always been helpful and honest! I wouldn't even consider going to anyone else in this area!