2wt fun

I don't think there's anything I enjoy more than fly fishing trout streams less than 30 feet across with ultra light fly gear. I only have 1 "secret" creek and it isn't even all that secret, but that's fine by me as I find the popular trout streams often have amazing fishing and when you take into consideration how many people fish them they really aren't even all that pressured compared to say any steelhead river in the world!

For a couple months I have been staring at a beautiful little 2wt butterstick in the corner of my room waiting for a chance to try it out, I had thought that this opportunity would have been on trout opener but looking at the rains we had and the still cold water temperature it had to wait. But in the last week the water has finally climbed above that 50* mark and I knew then it was time to fish.

One nice thing about this time of year is the water is cold enough that the fishing only really heats up around noon, so after sleeping in on Saturday the car was packed. Waders, vest, fly box, rods, reels, leaders, let's go fishing!

I would talk about how the water looked, how many people were there, what bugs were hatching, but I think it would become too obvious what river this is if I did, so here are some pics.

IMG_1909_zpseb994cee.jpg

IMG_1910_zps30f88e43.jpgIMG_1911_zpsd24be453.jpgIMG_1912_zpsaaa45b01.jpgIMG_1915_zpscc158120.jpg

This last fish I've been waiting for for a long time. My previous PB for a brook trout was only 10.5", over 3 years of brook trout fishing and I had yet to hit the magic 12" mark. So here's what happened. The pool I fish is a deep riffle the empties into a pond, usually I ignore the head of this pool because it's not very conducive to dry fly fishing, but I decided what the heck since the fish were hitting so well and decided to put my fly under the low handing pine branches to see it anything lived there, turns out something was! I could just see a head rise to take the fly, I set the hook, it bent the rod in half and started doing the classic big fish bulldog, and just as quickly as it began it ended as with one head shake the hook was spit. I felt pretty awful about that but knew that fish was still there, he wasn't moving and he had to keep eating. So I fished for 10 minutes downstream of the fish and then punched another cast into the head of the pool. First cast and he took it, this time I wasn't making the same mistakes, rod tip to the side, take my time, slide the fish into the net and its picture time.

IMG_1458_zpscc4bef20.jpg

IMG_1459_zps6e0f80d5.jpg

Tight lines,

Chris

Edited by Christopher k

Definitely is, and a lot of it is a lot more accessible than people may think. Sadly not atlantics, just very silver browns (had to check the fins, thought they were at first too). I do think I got an atlantic last week though, didn't get to check the fin before it jumped from my hand but I'm going to say it was one anyways LOL.

Nice, reminds me of my exploits when I was your age, but that was 50 years ago :( . 30 feet across is a majour river compared to most of the tiny stuff I fished for Specs in Niagara and Norfolk Counties. I've caught specs out of stuff you could straddle, a foot on each bank, don't be afraid to culvert hopping on feeder creeks to your river you may get a surprise.

LOL, ya a lot of people think that at first when they see it. I think if I ever get a bamboo stick I'll be too afraid to use it, fiberglass has a warranty ;)

You don't want to know what happened the first time I used mine then. You'll never get one.