Float fishing questions

I just started to get into float fishing in the East. I got a Okuma Aventa combo (13' 6") last year but I haven't had time to use it much. I had Raven 10lb high-vis yellow line on it but it seemed to heavy so I switch to 8lb Sigon F but after read some of the forums, I realized I should of bought nanofil. I use a lighter Raven leader with micro swivel. I place the shot on my main line starting under my float. My first question is how to determine the amount of main line below the float and as well the length of the leader? I usually do not fish deep water usually 1' to 3' (or less). I run the depth of the water I am fishing plus 12" of leader is this correct? For example, if I am fishing 2' of water, I will have 2' of mainline plus 1' of leader. I keep the rod tip up and the float leans upstream a bit. Should it be perpendicular to the water? Does this work for deeper water 4'+? My cottage is on the Notty (Beach 2 area) and I wanted to try my luck out there. I just purchased the Raven book for float fishing but have not got it as yet but I hope it does have some hints.

In addition, I got hip waders for the time being and was wondering if there were places to avoid walking? I do not want to disturb the environment of swanning fish.

Thanks for the help! Any and all tips are welcomed.

It seems like you are a lot to concerned with right.

You should be constantly reading your float and adjusting to different areas of your drift. From your feet to the current edge might be 2-3 different adjustments. The fish might be suspended even shorter. The back even shorter.

Your combo sounds like it will do fine. I used siglon F once, its not the best but its not terrible either.. I wouldn't go drop 20 bucks on Nanofil right away, maybe after your current line has run its course. As for your leader question, in general I run around 18" of leader unless the water is really dirty (then 12") or really clear (24"). I do wonder why you choose to fish water in the 1-3' depth - I always fish water in the 3-6' range. You may have more luck fishing deeper as fish don't tend to sit in such shallow water for any period of time. They will usually only be there if they're on the move.

Avoid walking in any water thats 1-2' deep with either gravel bottom or lots of small stones, as that is where the redds will be.

Keep it simple, 8-10lb trilene xl mainline has always worked well for me, connected to a barrel swivel and an 18-20 inch piece of fluoro leader in 6lb test. I typically use seaguar, but really anything will do. The blackbird stuff is cheap and works well. I stay away from super lines and hi vis stuff. The simplest of rig is as effective as any of the newer high vis super line shot line rigs, but has an added bonus of being infinitely adjustable on the spot, with no need to cut off shot lines and change for varying depths. As for length of lead from float it really depends on depth and flow rate of the water. If it's ripping, you may need to run significantly more lead than water depth to be in the zone. Time and experience will teach you all you need to know. I regularly adjust until I hit bottom, then work backwards from that. Don't buy into all the marketing and don't sweat the small stuff. I've caught plenty of fish with my float cocked towards downstream... LOL Good luck!

Edited by porkpie

Your combo sounds like it will do fine. I used siglon F once, its not the best but its not terrible either.. I wouldn't go drop 20 bucks on Nanofil right away, maybe after your current line has run its course. As for your leader question, in general I run around 18" of leader unless the water is really dirty (then 12") or really clear (24"). I do wonder why you choose to fish water in the 1-3' depth - I always fish water in the 3-6' range. You may have more luck fishing deeper as fish don't tend to sit in such shallow water for any period of time. They will usually only be there if they're on the move.

Avoid walking in any water thats 1-2' deep with either gravel bottom or lots of small stones, as that is where the redds will be.

The waters I fish (North Rouge river, Little rouge creek and Oshawa creek), don't tend to have many deep pools. Are redds where the eggs are?

Keep it simple, 8-10lb trilene xl mainline has always worked well for me, connected to a barrel swivel and an 18-20 inch piece of fluoro leader in 6lb test. I typically use seaguar, but really anything will do. The blackbird stuff is cheap and works well. I stay away from super lines and hi vis stuff. The simplest of rig is as effective as any of the newer high vis super line shot line rigs, but has an added bonus of being infinitely adjustable on the spot, with no need to cut off shot lines and change for varying depths. As for length of lead from float it really depends on depth and flow rate of the water. If it's ripping, you may need to run significantly more lead than water depth to be in the zone. Time and experience will teach you all you need to know. I regularly adjust until I hit bottom, then work backwards from that. Don't buy into all the marketing and don't sweat the small stuff. I've caught plenty of fish with my float cocked towards downstream... LOL Good luck!

Do I need to use shot line with hi-vis line or can I use it like regular main line?

Sorry, I don't know. I've never used hi visibility line, perhaps someone who uses it can assist you. I assume so , as everyone I've ever fished with that used hi vis was always running them , and occasionally having to change them when water depth changed drastically .

Edited by porkpie

The waters I fish (North Rouge river, Little rouge creek and Oshawa creek), don't tend to have many deep pools. Are redds where the eggs are?

Do I need to use shot line with hi-vis line or can I use it like regular main line?

I see - but yes redds are where the eggs are. I just avoid walking in the water completely at this time of year except when absolutely necessary.

Also I would not over complicate things with a shot line. I would just run your hi vis line to a swivel then your leader from there. If you are concerned about fish seeing your mainline then just make your leader a little longer.

As the trout complete spawning the will drop into the deeper holes.

Again you need to read your float. Is it dragging bottom is the roe bag way behind the float. What happens when I move last split shot up 30cm.

Can I control my float.

These are question that will become 2nd nature with practice you will set your float for the next hole when you leave the last one. In every hole start your drift from different locations and see were it goes. Remember the successful drifts and try to understand why that one works.

And most important have fun.

Thanks for the advice.

How about fishing a little deeper than 2' then? I've fished Oshawa enough to know there are plenty of areas deeper than that, if you're fishing in water that shallow you're fishing spawning fish.

I was by the Airport. I thought it was fine since there were many other people fishing. I could be misjudging the depth?

Thanks for the advice.

I was by the Airport. I thought it was fine since there were many other people fishing. I could be misjudging the depth?

Don't trust other fishermen, half of them are flossing fish and a quarter of them don't have a clue that they might not be fishing ethically, just stick to deeper pools if at all possible.

Don't trust other fishermen, half of them are flossing fish and a quarter of them don't have a clue that they might not be fishing ethically, just stick to deeper pools if at all possible.

If you don't mind me asking, where are the deeper pools on Oshawa creek? I would try asking other people on the river/creek but I don't want to bother them while they fish.

On another note, I was looking at getting a smaller rod in the 10'6" to 11'6" range. I found the streamline rod was recommended but I can't find it for sale anywhere when looking online.

TBH I haven't fished really above the 401, but, if you aren't seeing any deep water, go downstream. Also, I believe you are looking for a streamside rod.

Sorry, I meant streamside. I can't find an online retailer. Are you out there often?

The place I was basically had large fishing that periodically swam out into the shallower water and drop back to the pool. I caught a smaller fish that at the bottom of the pool and released it.

Your so close it's scary lol.12"-18" leader,bulk shot,watch your float for sitting straight,adjust accordingly.You will do fine .Good luck :good: .

:whistling: You learn fast grass hopper. :clapping:

As for high vis lines. I use it as my peeps are not the best to follow clear lines. I shot my vis,but leave the floro leader at about 18 inches. I fish different waters then yous down there. So a short lead is possible for me to use.

Edited by Misfish