Spearing vs Stocking on Nipissing

G.mech

I received this very disturbing e-mail from the Lake Nipissing Stakeholder Association yesterday. I was trying to remain positive that all concerned parties were working together for the good of the fishery but this makes it exceedingly difficult to remain optimistic:

Hi All, we are in the midst of the restocking effort for 2014 and would greatly appreciate a show of solidarity this evening. There has been some spearing and netting taking place at the very spot we use to collect the males and females for our hatchery. It would be great if we could all show up and with respect and support request the time and space to continue to our annual event unhindered. There will be a number of people gathering at about 9 PM this evening at Wasi Falls (Wasi Falls Rd) to support our efforts peacefully and with respect. Thank you in advance for attending and for your ongoing concern about Lake Nipissing.
Regards
LNSA

Before this thread gets out of hand.......just let me share that the persons who were spearing are Natives from the newly recognised Algonquin tribe in the Mattawa area. It is not cool that the were spearing in an area where LNSA were set up for their re-stocking efforts and that they damaged the holding pens set up by LNSA but they have the right to spear fish and there are no areas that are off limits.

Even with the moratorium on netting imposed by NFN and Dokis their member are still permitted to spear.

I don't agree with it and wish it stopped but I have to accept it and fish-on.

Edited by Nipfisher

Before this thread gets out of hand.......just let me share that the persons who were spearing are Natives from the newly recognised Algonquin tribe in the Mattawa area. It is not cool that the were spearing in an area where LNSA were set up for their re-stocking efforts and that they damaged the holding pens set up by LNSA but they have the right to spear fish and there are no areas that are off limits.

Even with the moratorium on netting imposed by NFN and Dokis their member are still permitted to spear.

I don't agree with it and wish it stopped but I have to accept it and fish-on.

So they are legally spearing the fish in a true spirit of cooperation with those that are trying to save the fishery then.....thanks for clearing that up.

Yep. I do 90% of my fishing on Nipissing. I am also going to volunteer with LNSA on Saturday morning.

i am not familiar with nippising at all, but i do read all the threads on the troubles there in regards to commercial fishing. I just want to pass on my honest opinion. If you want to work together, respect each other. Simple and plain. Make friends, be humans.

Spearing is totally legal for NFN and theres nothing we can do about it. May 15 is date when the real slaughter takes place when the big nets come out. Personally i am done fishing nipissing for Walleye as 3% of the population are >18 inches and thats just too frustrating releasing 97% of them.

Just goes to show the amount of respect that some have for the LNSA's efforts.

Our group donated through one of the lodges for years. Then the owners dropped out of the LNSA. They got tired of being treated like some evil monster despite their contributions. At night, they had marker buoys cut, power cut to their bait tanks and fridge, plugs pulled on their rental boats, disconnected our battery chargers the one night, etc..., Last I heard they were looking for a way out.

Perhaps its time the LNSA cut its losses and give up on walleye stocking. Put the onus on the commercial fishery.

It sounds like the restocking efforts are like beating your head against a cement wall and only beneficial to a select few whom seem to not care about conservation. Soon Nipissing will be known as the Dead Sea. The same thing happened around here, Golden and Round Lakes restocking program did nothing for the recreational fisheries.

Edited by EME411