New(used) boat from the USA

tizfun

Hey all, I just got home and wanted to share my experience in bringing a boat across the border(Wisconsin)..

First, I picked up a 1994 Princecraft 167 with a Johnson 50 hp t/trim.. Sweet Deal !!!!!!!! Boat and motor are a 9/10 and the trailer a 7/10 (little rust).. Package was garage kept for the last 5 years..

Gettin across the boarder with all paperwork in place was alot easier than everyone says it is.. (it was for me anyways).. Showed Customs my bill of sale for trailer and a bill of sale for the boat and motor.. Paid a standard fee for the trailer 236.00 and PST/GST on the value of the boat and motor.. Signed the papers and they explained what to expect in the mail within the next week and what to do when it arrives.. (trailer safety from Canadian Tire) 30 mins later, I'm in my truck and on my way..

Great time and alot of driving..27 hours there and back, 2366 kms and 316.00 in gas.. Surprised that my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer was that good on gas, even with the a/c on our way back..

Tiz :thumbsup_anim:

OK, glad to hear you had a smooth trip over the border. But I'm curious to know if after all the costs including the exchange, meals accommodations, wear and tear etc is all factored was it really a good deal in the end?

This always intrigues me, I find that cross border shopping generally never truly pays off. On the surface perhaps, but in the end? I prefer to buy from my home soil first. We used to cross the border about once a month back in the mid eighties and stay the weekend. Did it work out? No after all costs were weighed it always seemed to balance.

Now days so many items are close in price or in some situations cheaper here even before the exchange rate is calculated. For my wife and I shopping on the other side of the river turns out to be nothing more than a day of different scenery and environment for my wifes amusement. :sleeping_02:

I hope you enjoy your new ride and have many hours of enjoyment and you catch tons of fish. :Gonefishing:

Aren't Princecrafts :canadian: Canadian made? :dunno:

I'm trying to post some pics, but it always fails.. Seems like they're too big.. Will try later...

As for getting a deal, I think you have compare similar boats that are offered for sale here.. If you look through the Trader magazine, all of these boats are 9000.00 and up.. Plus you have to add the PST and PST/GST if it's from a dealer..

I'll post some pics and you tell me what would you pay for it...

Tiz

I'll post some pics and you tell me what would you pay for it...

Tiz

Great looking boat! If it runs half as good as it looks you've found yourself a nice ride.

My guess... $4800-$5500 US depending on condition... yours is very clean si I'd say upwards of $5500. In Canadian funds that boat goes from $7500-$8500 CA. I'm guessing after all costs and expenses you saved at least $1500 CA. In terms we 'fisherman' might better understand, you have enough left over for some new tackle and a nice sonar/gps combo.

-Brian

Edited by SlowPoke

Misfish,Slowpoke.. Your right is was cleaner that I expected.. Motor turned over on the first try and we ran it out on the water with 3 of us in the boat and again I was surprised how it planed out with the 3 of us.. As for what I paid.. $3500.00 US..

He also included a brand new tank and line, 2 brand new in the box props, brand new Panasonic CD player with remote and 2 new Sony marine speakers, a custom fit travel cover, 1 new deep cycle battery and the cranking one , he said was new last summer. 3 new tires and also gave me the invoice for repacked bearings he did the moring before I got there.. 197.56...........

When I was given all the stuff and showed what he had done to the boat, my buddy said that If I didn't take it .. He wanted me to tow it home for him.. YEAH RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally a good deal..

Tiz

Thanks Everyone !!! I sure am excited with this boat.. I've been tinkering with it since it came home.. I just love the beam.. Will make it alot more comfortable on Quinte this fall... I will post as many pics of my outings as possible..

p.s. If anyone is interested, check out my classified add for my old boat.. Great shape, very clean and runs like a top... Only reason I'm selling this one is that I need more space in the boat.. most times we fish 3 ppl.. Let me know if anyone is interested.. Price is negotiable.......

Tiz