Hikin' the Ott River bed

Joeytier

I live on the northern tip of the Ottawa river, and starting in late fall they begin draining the system from Lake Temiskaming and Kipawa all down thru the river. So by this time of the year, the river is typically about 10 feet below normal levels making for some cool hiking, plus I wanted to scope out some potential spots for season opener.Along the way I scored a nice husky jerk in need of a little tlc and dragged about 2 km of line out of the river bed too.

DFFC8A62-3CFB-4D8F-A9CF-E1B2FC22C0B1_zps

DA4F2CE2-059A-47F1-9A6E-755D9AED244F_zps

A31589D0-BBBD-4147-A45A-1EA61A08384E_zps

DA0C8BA2-56EB-4CFE-A2F0-47109D5D4B1A_zps

Edited by Joeytier

Thanks Roy. Linking codes weren't done right

The last two years the river has been very low during the summer here in Pet. Last year I camped up river at Drift Wood PC, water was at normal levels there. Guess they were holding it back at the Swisha Dam

Yeah, the levels seemed fairly normal here for the last couple summers

can't see the pics,

I see them. Wow look at all that structure.

Is there something going on with the site,or is it that updating thing again Roy?

I remember one time we stopped at some provincial park on our way to Kanta.. Hot as hell. River was very low. Couldnt even get the canoe in where we stayed. We were an hour or so from an air conditioned hotel.Packed up and left. Thank god we did. That was when the tornado went through that very night.

Edited by Misfish

Very cool. I grew up on Wabi Bay but I've never ventured the Kipawa.

It's pretty flat on our side so you could walk several hundred yards out from the shoreline in early spring. Great way to find all kinds of baits!

I've heard that you can get lakers in the Kipawa. I know the lake has them but I've never seen one caught.

Thanks for the pics!