May 24 Bugscapade!

selcram

Hey everyone!

My boyfriend and I decided to go camping on his cottage lake for the long weekend, located 45 minutes north of Parry Sound. We rushed up there on friday morning to secure a spot.. but we had absolutely no reason to rush. We were the only ones brave enough to combat the conditions, ha ha!! The cold wasn't an issue but the flies were brutal. Thank god for the screen tent we purchased ( and spent any time we weren't out on the water inside during daylight hours )

When we arrived to the site, which is a beautiful piece of crown land, the first thing we saw to our dismay was that it appeared a party took place, likely the weekend before. These "pigs" who camped there left an absolute mess. There must have been 40 beer cans, unopened cans of food, litter and a broken chair and to top it off, they sabotaged the fire pit by discarding all in there along with huge logs they dragged over. It only took us 15 minutes to put everything in a garbage bag, something they could have easily done. We also found some leaders lying around indicating that they were probably also poaching out of season... grrrrrrr :angry:

Unfortunately for us, the bite was completely off the whole weekend. Tried everything but to no evail! We managed a couple of pencil neck pike on saturday morning and skunked for the rest. Trolling was one of the only options, just to keep the bugs at bay!!

All in all, it was awesome to get out on the water and try out our new lures we purchased over the winter. Now only if the fish had been co-operating.. it would have made the blackflies tolerable!

saturday_morning_sunrise_camp_inlet.jpg

dirty_pigs_1.jpg

boat_mist.jpg

Edited by H2whoa!

Great report...that sucks about the garbage and lack of fish though. I hate it when I head to a spot and see garbage everywhere...and it irks me the whole time I'm fishing. If I remember a garbage bag then it gets filled before I leave. On the good side...those pics were amazing...that smooth as glass shot of the water is sweet!

We had the same issue with black flies in Hanover this past weekend! Are you still itching where they bit you???

Pics are amazing, looks like a little piece of heaven.

Can't believe ppl leave behind such a mess!

Cheers,

Jen

Great report, looks like a sweet spot. Too bad the pigs who can't clean up after themselves know about it too :glare:

At least you got away and relaxed for a couple of days and good on ya for cleaning up their mess.

Joey

I cant believe the total lack of respect people have for this beautiful land of ours. It really makes me sick to see stuff like that. Unfortunately there will always be thoughtless people who do things like this.

Well on the plus side it sometimes is nice to have a lake to yourself, looks like a nice place despite the bugs.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I hope that those people who can leave these spots, whether it's camping, a hiking trail or waterfront in such a mess will think twice about it, or feel a bit of guilt. Wishful thinking probably but have to be positive.

Oh.. and sometimes it really pays to get up so early in the morning!! .. not often you open your eyes to such a beautiful sight as the early dawn sun and mist rising off a calm bay

Very nice camping spot & scenery,its too bad the fish wernt biting,and like you said,about the idiots leaving all the garbage behind,it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else...well im glad you had a good time anyway,and those bugs,well thats just a part of being a canadian.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Love those scenery photos, looks like a great little place to camp out. Just how beautiful your first two shots are ...to be completely destroyed by your third pic. Absolutely disgusting and it would be nice if those responsible could be caught. Kudos to you for taking the time to clean up the mess and restoring the place to its natural beauty.