Ice Shack removal….GIT 'ER DUN!

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Helped my buddy get his iceshack off Thunder Lake yesterday and today, could not have timed it better. Snow was average 3' deep all over the lake, with drifts unto 5' deep with heavy slush underneath.

Packed down a 1 mile track with the skidoos yesterday, the one heavy slush patch we encountered was froze solid this morning as it was -30C last night (crazy weather).

Was like iceshack racing with the grizzly with it's tracks and the 1200cc skidoo in low gear, the darn thing was catching air! Good fun….more fun than i managed to have with that shack all year as i never even managed to fish in it once….come to think of it i never managed to fish that lake at all this year….what a messed up winter!

Enjoy the video of this morning's antics, don't forget to select 720pHD.

looks like good, redneck fun

it probably would have pulled fine with just the big 4 stroke skidoo and a shorter lead?

Yeah…either one would have been fine…..just good to have back up if needed. All redneck except the tune….lol.

Edited by limeyangler

I use a clam ice hut, but am curious. Would they still give you a ticket if you were using your wooden permanent style hut on a sled as a makeshift portable hut and towing it around with a machine hooked up? I can see leaving it out overnight being a risk as ice can break up and degrade quickly making for some garbage in the lake, but if the ice is safe I can't see the harm in doing this if you take it with you at the end of each day?

You do not need to register your ice hut or abide by specific removal dates:

• in Zones 1-8 and 13, or,
  • if your ice hut is a tent made of cloth or synthetic fabric that has a base area of seven square metres (75.4 square feet) or less when erected.

I use a clam ice hut, but am curious. Would they still give you a ticket if you were using your wooden permanent style hut on a sled as a makeshift portable hut and towing it around with a machine hooked up? I can see leaving it out overnight being a risk as ice can break up and degrade quickly making for some garbage in the lake, but if the ice is safe I can't see the harm in doing this if you take it with you at the end of each day?

You do not need to register your ice hut or abide by specific removal dates:

• in Zones 1-8 and 13, or,
  • if your ice hut is a tent made of cloth or synthetic fabric that has a base area of seven square metres (75.4 square feet) or less when erected.

If you take it home with you at the end of the day it aint permanent.

I'm in zone 5 so don't register

LOL….and you answered your own question no? :dunno:

I'd stick with the clam, save a small fortune in gas and snowmachine belts…..lol.

Pulled my 8x11 hut on and off the lake with my truck this year. 1st time I have been able to do it both ways. We tackled it early this morning with -24 temps. No slush and once we got it out of the drifts that were around it then we had smooth cruising. Still close to 40" of ice on the lake.

Aw man

You comin outta Larson Bay--headin past Stewart Isle---you drove past about 400 of my ole fishin spots

I hear your ice road is kaput this year---that's not cool

that much snow is gonna cull that deer herd up there for sure

I remember one year the ice wasn't off for walleye opener---maybe again??