Leaking basement (Foundation wall)

buckster

The truth is if you do not eliminate the water the concrete or block is weakened over time from water damage. A dry basement on walls that are not sealed can lead to major damage at the foot of your house.

Art

It costs much less than that to install membrane and dimple board when the house is being built, yet few builders do it. I dunno about you guys, but if I were looking at two comparable houses i'd choose the waterproofed one every time and I think it's a huge selling feature.

While i'm typically against more rules and regulations, I really do believe that it should be required by code for every foundation below grade to be properly waterproofed.

Waterproofing would be a slam dunk no doubt. However in many cases proper grading would eliminate any problems before they exist depending on your soil composition. It's kinda like making snow tires mandatory. 85 % will pay for the 15%....my numbers totally pulled out of thin air not facts... who really need it. Not trying to start a fight, cause I actually support mandatory snows...just throwing it out there for debate.

This kind of shoddy workmanship would never fly here in Thunder Bay. Apparently our standards are amongst the highest in the country. There's a new multi million $ Marriott hotel here that has just been completed and word on the street is that it will never open. It's sinking. It was built by a bunch of non union fly by night contractors from Toronto. Stay home and build your crap in Toronto. We build with union quality up here.

Not doubting you Dan. But a multi million Marriot in TBay? Who in the heck would stay there? Not necessarily a destination those with big bucks flock too. Sounds like a white dinosaur to me. It's really not even a stop over for anywhere else.I'm thinking word on the street might be a little out to lunch.

And sorry.... union quality? I'm in Oshawa. Union quality by our standards means something entirely different from what your are suggesting.

Not doubting you Dan. But a multi million Marriot in TBay? Who in the heck would stay there? Not necessarily a destination those with big bucks flock too. Sounds like a white dinosaur to me. It's really not even a stop over for anywhere else.I'm thinking word on the street might be a little out to lunch.

And sorry.... union quality? I'm in Oshawa. Union quality by our standards means something entirely different from what your are suggesting.

There's several hotel chain developments being built here right now. Apparently there's a demand for rooms? The company that I work for has a Holiday Inn job complete with a pool right now as well. And there's a few more on the drawing table. Just because you don't stop over here doesn't mean that the rest of the planet doesn't. Thunder Bay is a strong union town. The Marriott job is just another example of non union fly by nighters expecting to come into town and leave with pockets full of cash. They may get away with substandard workmanship elslewhere, but not here. And the union quality thing? The non union contractors that come here do pathetic work and are often chased out of town. The company that I work for has done many fixes after the scabs have left. The Marriott scandal is one of the biggest non union issues that have ever occured here. I heard that none of the (non union) sub contractors will never be paid. The place is sinking and the floors are cracking daily. Is that how things work in Oshawa? Cuz they sure don't work that way up here.

Don't have a clue Dan. And your right I don't stop there...ever. Just questioning a marriot in T-Bay based on a relative who lives in Sudbury....travels the world far more then you and I ever will and never has a reason ever to go that way? Unions IMHO don't ever do a better job. That was the point I was trying to illustrate. You might be right in your opinion for your chunk of the planet but I have never seen that sediment to be true in any business sector I have seen elsewhere.

Id buy a custom built home over a union built shoebox any day. Ive built a few hundred of them, seen both types of builders, so you wont even come close to convincing me otherwise.

Ive turned down building houses because of "shoemaker" foundations on jobsites. Id rather starve than work off that garbage.

Foundations poured on top of frozen ground is the most common thing you'll see here from union guys.

Unions suck IMO!!! All they do is save the slackers from getting canned!!

S.