Spinning reel $100-140 range

BowSlayer101

that's an ok reel...i'm sure you'll enjoy it....

careful using it in freezing temps (if you were planning on river fishing, or similar)....

that reel isn't sealed very well...water gets in and freezes....happened to a buddy who uses that exact reel for both river fishing and ice fishing....

he's since went to a different reel...but continues to use that reel in the summer without issues.

no man, i don't use such expensive reels for ice fishing, nothing over 30 bucks, just not brave enough lol. Im not paying over 100 bucks to have it break on me for some laker, i use bait casters and cheaper spinning reels with good drags for ice fishing. I just plan on using it for bass, pike, gar, maybe some trout with hardware, musky, etc. I use centerpin gear for river fishing usually.

the note above about be careful with the handle.

its funny you mentioned that.

my dad has a pflueger president reel....he has had it for a long time...however, his handle "stripped" in the first year of use.

the tackle shop took a handle off another pfleuger and he hasn't had an issue since.

i should mention dad's reel has been rock solid in the 8 years he's owned his pfleuger....and he only owns one spinning reel....as such it gets A TON of use!

I wish my Stradics held up like his pfleuger has....

I've had bad luck with plfueger, don't wanna rain down on buddy's new reel but I broke the handle on my patriarch after a week or so, easy enough to exchange, but it was a lesson I've learned repeatedly mountain biking, carbon snaps and aluminum bends before it fails, why am I such a slow learner ha (and honestly, if a reel can't survive being dropped from mid torso height, it ain't for me)

then after 3 months of use I was rip jigging bucktails for walleye, drag set tight and did a fierce hookset into a musky and the gears seized up, pflueger was good on warranty, took about 2-3 weeks for a new reel...I promptly sold the new reel from warranty and kicked myself for ever doubting my stradics

I don't mind the cheaper trion and president models for ice fishing, that's about it (but even then a shimano is still better!!)

i got it 30 bucks off, i don't know how, I'm guessing the cashier screwed up, not my problem, lol, i know shimano is good but after comparing a shimano to a president, i found pflueger is smoother, has more bearings, over all a nicer reel, the more experienced guy said there are shimano and pflueger guys out there but both reels are top notch, he said the pflueger would be a better choice, because it is known for quality and had better reviews, i know a bunch of guys who say that shimano is a problematic reel and the same number of guys saying that about pflueger, i was told though in the long run, i you take care of your reel, and don't drop it and put it in water, etc. then it will last you forever. I got the pflueger because the design was waaaaaay better then the shimano lol, also because it was lighter and just felt better in my hands, with the eva know and carbon handle, so far its been, good, got out with it for some steelies and ended up losing a nice brown, drag help up perfect in freezing conditions, never had a problem, i take care of my reels so i don't see why there should be a problem. I thought about getting the patriarch but the guy there told me the reviews were worse for it, and its not worth the 50 bucks more, he said its not even worth what the supreme costs, it has really thin material that is lightweight but in return breaks very easily, thats what i was told anyways. Also have a few friends that use shimanos for ice fishing and they say the drag screws up and freezes them all the time, (on the stradic models) so that kind of steered me off to.

Edited by BowSlayer101

this guy is very knowledgeable, I've talked to him even before he worked at sail, i actually had no idea that he worked there but bumped into him, i find bass pro staff don't know the first thing about fishing but almost all the star in the vaughn sail fishing department are very knowledgeable, i don't have the time or money to drive to small stores, they usually charge much more then the big box stores i knew what i wanted, but advice from someone who knows his stuff certaintly didn't help! By the way, I'm not trying to put down the smaller stores, they know their stuff well but id rather save the driving, get the item on sale and if it happens that there are no knowledgeable staff there then just look at the specs and choose myself, however a small bait shop in barrie (bait bucket) caught my attention a month or so ago and a couple weeks ago i picked up a simax med/heavy 7' bass rod for 60 bucks, regular price is $145, so i was very pleased with that, and the guy there was very kind and knowledgeable!

Edited by BowSlayer101