Lake Ontario Report - Pike - May 22nd.

ccmtcanada

Bly and I went to find some carp this afternoon...bly wasn't really into it, but went along with me anyways. (we got skunked). Tonight, I was feeling pretty tired and didn't really want to go out...but I decided at the last minute to join her.

We had been out all weekend long...seeing a nice pike patrolling an area, but we couldn't get it to bite...so we headed back to see if one of us could conquer the thing. Bly was diligently working an area for about 20 minutes...trying a bunch of things, but nothing...because it was dark out, we didn't even know if the thing was even there. I came along, she said...go ahead...try this area....I said ok...and we agreed we'd leave after this one last cast.

Well, dont you know it...start the retrieve...twitch the line the way Snog does (I had never used that technique before meeting him....thanks Snog!!), pause, repeat. Finally...as the lure came closer (Jointed shad rap #7) I slowly retrieved...speeding up slightly and BAM!!! The pike hit my lure. I was still using the great leader Snog gave me this past Friday and this toothy critter didn't get away. There wasn't much of a fight...he was landed in about 2 minutes. Took this quick pic and then back in the water.

The measurements were 31.25" long, 12" girth, weighing just under 9 pounds.

gallery_60_23_18401.jpg

Bly was a little miffed...this is the second pike I've done this to her...OOPS!! A few minutes later, a little mayfly went straight into my eye and stuck there. Through tears, I asked her if she'd take a look when we got home....she said "maybe"....LOL. :lol:

Once at home, she is still irritated...she's holding my eye open telling me to look up...look left...look down....when I look down she has a needle in her hand......LOL j/k

Anyhow, I'm tired...gotta go to bed....goodnight! (If you dont see any posts from me by 10am tomorrow...send the authorities....bly may have done something rash to me while I was sleeping!!!)

Yo' da' man!

Awesome!

So what time was it? I've had great luck night fishing for pike.

Glad the leader and the twitch came through.

Sorry Bly (we know now to stop suggesting spots to Cliff!)

Nice Pike Cliff, wow! I am sure Bly will razz you about it for a while but the smile on your face will stay in her mind forever.

WTG guys, you are amazing!

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

Jen

Yo' da' man!

Awesome!

So what time was it? I've had great luck night fishing for pike.

Glad the leader and the twitch came through.

Sorry Bly (we know now to stop suggesting spots to Cliff!)

It was caught at around 930pm...we've seen the odd pike patrolling the area...watched them eat bait fish in the area before. Waters were very choppy and there wasn't much bait fish around, so we weren't sure if big fish were even in the area. We're still hoping the spring walleye make an appearance...would be great to catch a few before they head deep into the waters of Lake O.

As for what happened last night...bly more than likely kept it's interest in the area....she was using a spoon. Then when I came through with a crank bait, it was something different.....much like changing lures when what you are using isn't working.

Hahaha, great post Cliff. Dare I say sleep with one "eye" open tonight, lol.

Nice pike for sure. You'll have to teach me the snog twitch at Lakair :lol:

Joey

LOL Joey...this has happened before...she tirelessly works an area for a LONG time...then I catch the fish she was going after...I feel bad....wait...no I dont....LOL :lol:

PIKE!!!!!!...............PIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww Man, c'mon up here Cliff, you can have every one of them blighters you want, Bly also, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin, but not, in a way, we gots em everywhere, big and small. Don't particularly care for em' myself, but don't target the large ones either, mostly nuisance fish, that steal my walleye baits, :lol:

PIKE!!!!!!...............PIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww Man, c'mon up here Cliff, you can have every one of them blighters you want, Bly also, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just kiddin, but not, in a way, we gots em everywhere, big and small. Don't particularly care for em' myself, but don't target the large ones either, mostly nuisance fish, that steal my walleye baits, :lol:

We are happy to catch anything that's bigger than a panfish...LOL. Walleye are still our number one target, for shore fishing. They haven't made an appearance this spring yet...hoping they do before the waters get too warm and they head to the deep....crossing our fingers!!