Buying a boat in Quebec

fishnguy

I'm hoping folks won't mind if I ask for some advice despite being so new to the forum. The older threads have been extremely helpful in my new boat quest. I'm looking at my first boat in Quebec (long story). It is new from a dealer. I'm wondering if anyone has experience buying a boat out of province.

What pitfalls should I know about? Any tips? Thanks.

Really, really appreciate this forum and the wealth of knowledge here.

-Ben

The purchase of a boat can be a nightmare from the wrong dealer. Find one that is not only willing to make the sale comfortable but also any issues that you will need repaired in the future. I found that it is worth going to a dealer a little farther away if he stresses in writing how they resolve issues.

Art

Appreciate the answers. I'm looking at a brand new Lowe boat. To make a long story short, and at risk of being the guy speaking badly of an Ontario dealer, I've been unhappy with my dealings with the only Lowe dealer of any size in the province. So I decided to look abroad. There is a great brand new 2013 boat for sale at a dealership outside of Montreal. It is a long haul for sure, but the closest Lowe dealership here in Ontario is quite a hike for me anyways. And like I said, I was a bit turned off there.

Boat is brand new. They are the largest Lowe dealership in Quebec and seem to have a good reputation. All warranties should be transferable from what I've read. Just wondering about any issues in terms of running afoul of taxes or any other pitfalls to be aware of.

Thanks again

There's a Lowe dealer in Dunnvile Riverside marine. They did some work on a Mariner motor for me when a rock jumped up & bit it! I was pleased with their service. One of my fishing buddies boat a brand new 16' Lowe with all the bells & whistles. He also has been pleased with their service.

There's a Lowe dealer in Dunnvile Riverside marine. They did some work on a Mariner motor for me when a rock jumped up & bit it! I was pleased with their service. One of my fishing buddies boat a brand new 16' Lowe with all the bells & whistles. He also has been pleased with their service.

Thank you. Will look them up. I've been looking at some non current models (i.e. last year) that are selling at a nice discount to the 2014s. I don't see too many dealerships with standing inventory, but will check those guys out.

...buddy of mine drove to quebec to buy a can am atv...memory is he paid full quebec tax...paid tax again in ontario and then got the quebec "pst" of the "hst" back when he filed his taxes??? Something like that anyway...there was double taxation and he got some back. Good luck. Ps...he regrets his decision as the Ontario CanAm dealers haven't been so good with his numerous warranty issues....

..he too went there ONLY because the bike he wanted was NOT available in Ontario unless he waited 8 weeks

Edited by ctdd2006