need advise on finishing garage walls

Oggie

OSB, paneling, tongue and groove pine, Barn board, many choices. But whatever you do insulate between the studs and cover in Super 6 poly and seal now, you will thank yourself latter and you will get the return on investment if and when you ever sell.

There are alternatives, you asked a better way? I don't know what better you refer too, easier, cheaper. All depends on budget.

All good advise guys. The garage is over 30 years old. The house was sheeted with exterior grade DRYWALL if you can believe it. The exterior drywall looks weathered (visible between the stud spaces) and the paper is starting to show some issues. I'd like to seal up the walls mostly for cosmetic reasons. The wall between the house and garage has been finished and sheeted with drywall. The paper on that drywall hasn't handled the humidity and temp changes very well. I was hoping to avoid drywall on the other two walls for that reason. I'm selling the house and the garage isn't very appealing. So cost is an issue! I'm not finishing off the ceiling as I need it for storage (currently).

Dan O.

I'd go with 3/8" standard plywood, which is about $15 a sheet. Excessive moisture won't harm it like it can with OSB and MDF products.

OSB (about $8/sheet) and some cheap paint is likely the cheapest option if you just want to make it look better for a sale...

Before you go with a wood product though check the local fire codes if you have a wall that is shared with the house it must have a 2 hour burn rating at least down here in USA we do I am sure that someone up North can fill in the blank here.

Art

Same deal here Art.. not overly enforced these days pending who the building inspector is, but generally the wall between garage and house is supposed to be 5/8 drywall vs 1/2. At one time, and possibly still some places, it's supposed to be double layer drywall with no overlapping seams.

With todays cars... that turn themselves and their electrical system on and off at will... I'd be doing my utmost to have as sealed a garage as I could from the living quarters.

I agree Wayne I have my garage as part of my house and put the osb on and then had to sheetrock it with fireproof drywall not only in the garage but also in the loft where it tied into the house. The restoration garage we built as a free standing building because of the metal working and solvents etc. we keep on hand. Losing a garage while tragic is not the end all let the house go then it is an issue.

Art