New Spinning Rod advice

captpierre

Want to pull the trigger on a more comfortable spinning rod used mostly for rip jigging bucktails.

My Shimano rods are great but a bit heavy and I hate the exposed threads that irritate my finger after a while casting.

Plus my Sahara gets loose on the rod after every 10-20 casts.

What is the deal with the rods that are missing cork between reel and butt of rod? Is this just a weight thing? Is it significant.?

I'm not into spending big bucks on a rod. Shimanos have gone up a lot in price lately it seems.

Looking on-line at Berkley Lightning rods. Hidden thread. About $30 at Lebaron.

I'm happy to spend up to about $80 for a good rod.

Any tips out there?

thanks, Peter

the spilt between the cork for some is a comfort thing,but also makes the rod more sensitive imo , you can feel more hits.

you do get what you pay for but that doesnt mean you need 300.00 rods either.

my wife bought a berkley lightning rod last summer for 50.00 i think. its a nice rod.

i have a sahara on a st.croix mojo rod that i have to re-tighten every 10 casts or so.

Take a look at the new Fenwick HMGs, 2 piece $82 at Lebaron $99 in the US. For a few bucks more, there is the new Daiwa Tatulas, 1piece $110 at Lebaron $150 in the US. Great reviews on both rods. With the no tax sale right now, they are great deals.

A lot of stores will have sales in March.

Yes the "missing" cork (or foam crap) does save wieght. It also changes the balance of the rod. And in the case of cork it saves money.

Personally I am not a fan of split-grips, but a difference of opinion makes a horse race.

For rip jigging, I'd put more focus on the rod warranty than the actual rod. Although, most warranties seem to be 1 year. St.Croix has 5 year warranty for the Triumph line.

I never found that I would need anything very sensitive for that technique. I think any MH rod would do just fine. I also use a Rapala TS2 with a baitcaster for rip jigging, although I haven't done that in quite some time. I picked that rod up for a decent price, that's why I chose it.

A St.Croix Triumph on sale would be ideal. Although, the MH spinning only comes in 1 piece. Should be plenty of sales between now and March.

Edited by FishLogic

The missing cork on split grip handles does not save weight in any noticeable way. That amount of cork is just slightly heavier than air.

Neither does it make a rod more sensitive, unless of course you hold the rod behind the reel on the exposed blank.

The SOLE reason rod manufacturers came out with split grips was because there's a worldwide shortage of quality cork and what's left is super expensive. It was a cost cutting measure and an ingenious one at that.

Now of course they're all the rage. Marketing sure is a powerful tool...