Boat Stereo or Wireless Speaker?

Can_38

With the plethora of wireless speakers available today I am considering shelving my off season project of installing a marine cd/mp3 player and simply semi-permanently keeping a wireless speaker in yee old boat. Any board members considered or have done the same.

I like the following unit: http://www.braven.com/braven-brv-1-waterproof-bluetooth-speaker.html paired with a bluetooth IPod / BB etc..

Love to hear your feedback.

Edited by Can_38

There is a difference between Marine speakers and traditional other than being waterproof. The banging and bouncing off the water can effect the speaker and power components over the long run. Many have saved money just putting in a car audio system only to remove it when it was dead half way through the season. Boat TV had a feature on audio systems specific for marine application if I remember correctly. I'd hate to see a wireless speaker fly through the air when hitting a wave. Do they float?

I'm still running my old Pioneer surface mount car speakers from the early 90's in my boat.

They still work great even though they are about 20 years old and covered with rust. :lol:

Heck, they weren't even new when I put them in. I was a car audio installer for many years and these were replaced for a customer through insurance because of an attempted theft which damaged the case on one. B)

Portable rechargeable unit , hands down , the memory of a stereo can kill your RV battery in a week , I bought a " Sport Music " for 20$ on-line , it sounds great ! Takes a mini SD card , is a FM radio with rather good reception , acts as a signal booster for your cell phone , can connect to your phone or MP3 player .. quite possibly the best 20$ I've ever spent , other than that time in Holland .

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Portable rechargeable unit , hands down , the memory of a stereo can kill your RV battery in a week , I bought a " Sport Music " for 20$ on-line , it sounds great ! Takes a mini SD card , is a FM radio with rather good reception , acts as a signal booster for your cell phone , can connect to your phone or MP3 player .. quite possibly the best 20$ I've ever spent , other than that time in Holland .

Good input, thx.

I would just put A marine CD deck with speakers. I got my Sony set for 199. Sounds way better then a portable speaker. And I can plug my Sirius unit or iPod through aux. Makes a big difference when driving your boat where you might not hear you're portable.