Which GoPro?

DundasSteelheader

Hey all,

I have seen quite a few reports from members here using go pro cameras, and I want to get one myself. However I am somewhat split on what model to get. I want it to film mostly river fishing, maybe some kayaking and snorkelling. I am not sure how important all the various features on the different models are. I was hoping some of you could chime in on the following..

1) White, Silver or Black Edition? Which do you have, how do you find the resolution when filming and taking pictures? Are you happy with what you have or do you wish you had the next model up?

2) Go Pro Hero 3 vs. Hero 3+? Are the newer cameras that much better? I have found the older models have much better sales. i.e. $150 off vs $50 off.

3) Does anyone use the looping mode where the video file is erased after a set amount of time? seems very useful for filming fly fishing where you want to capture the rise/take. Does it work well and which model is best?

If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it. Keep in mind I have a tight budget so I will try to go as cheap as possible if I can but I will spend the money on the best model if it is really worth it.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

1) White, Silver or Black Edition? Which do you have, how do you find the resolution when filming and taking pictures? Are you happy with what you have or do you wish you had the next model up?

I have the silver and black

bought the black as it came with the remote but then bought the silver

for video I dont see a difference so if you dont need the remote go silver the mega pixles you loose are not much to worry about on the silver compaired to black.

2) Go Pro Hero 3 vs. Hero 3+? Are the newer cameras that much better? I have found the older models have much better sales. i.e. $150 off vs $50 off.

I have a hero 2 that my son uses I would only recommend the hero 3 silver or black for your question 3
as the looping feature is awesome.

3) Does anyone use the looping mode where the video file is erased after a set amount of time? seems very useful for filming fly fishing where you want to capture the rise/take. Does it work well and which model is best?

I have it and use it at all times for the black and silver.

I set it at 5min loop this way it records 5 min the starts the 6th min and erases the first min and so on.

You can record 5min,20min,60min 120min or MAX card they all shoot 1 min sections so when you go to edit your video you are only uploading 1 min at a time instead of 30min0 1 hour to just get a couple min of footage best feature if you ask me for the Hero 3.

I guess Im a fan of the silver and will be getting one more or two more next year I think as it depends if my wife wants to havfe them on her when we are musky fishing.

Hey, i have the hero 3 Black Edition it comes with a remote. Remote definitely works for me. The only difference between the Hero3 and Hero 3+ is the housing (smaller), cameras are exactly the same dimensions. For diving you will want to invest in a filter (red) and apparently film in Protune, RAW setting….this allows you more scope for editing later apparently.

3+ has better battery life too.

Heard that.. Big plus in my books... Is it significant or just a bit longer?

Hey, i have the hero 3 Black Edition it comes with a remote. Remote definitely works for me. The only difference between the Hero3 and Hero 3+ is the housing (smaller), cameras are exactly the same dimensions. For diving you will want to invest in a filter (red) and apparently film in Protune, RAW setting….this allows you more scope for editing later apparently.

Thanks for the tips! also heard that the Hero3+ is lighter. Sounds like the Hero 3 Black or the Silver Hero 3+ are top contenders so far.

Edited by DundasSteelheader

My Gopro also had me very frustrated, did not work worth #$#@ until the updates. Could not get the update with the crappy old PC I had, had to wait 6 months while I saved for a super fast iMac. Once all the updates were installed it has worked flawlessly. Discover more about it every time I use it. Loads and loads of video tutorials on youtube to help. Get the free Cineform Studio editing suite from Gopros website…its helps.

The LCD Backpac and Battery Bacpac are well worth getting as is the 'Wasabi' wall charger, it comes with 2 batteries(otherwise you can only charge a battery while it is in the camera. Another neat thing that has come out made by Gopro is a charger that allows you to film while it is charging, local tomelapse filming just got better as a result.

There are other cameras on the market, but with Protune/Raw, Cinema 4K(doubt i'll ever use this anytime soon) it is pretty maxed out for a starter camera.

I received a Gopro for Christmas but after trying to do all the set up, I have decided to return it.

Way too much hassle. Cant get a decent app for my Blackberry. cant download the program on my Pc at home.

I thought that it would be much more user friendly. It doesn't even have a screen.

If somebody has any tips or suggestions that may change my mind, it would be greatly appreciated.

It is a toy that I would love to have on the boat for next season

I received a Gopro for Christmas but after trying to do all the set up, I have decided to return it.

Way too much hassle. Cant get a decent app for my Blackberry. cant download the program on my Pc at home.

I thought that it would be much more user friendly. It doesn't even have a screen.

If somebody has any tips or suggestions that may change my mind, it would be greatly appreciated.

It is a toy that I would love to have on the boat for next season

First off i don't think you can get any decent apps for Blackberry? Found this but reviews are not that great

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/28892894/?countrycode=CA&lang=en

You can buy a LCD Bacpac (more $$$).

What 'program' are you trying to download?

Edited by limeyangler

I've been using an original GoPro Hero for 3 years and while it's not as easy to use as the newer and much more expensive models, nobody can tell the difference in video or picture quality between mine and the new models. The newer models have more features, but for the average person it's kind of a waste of money if you ask me.

A friend of mine has the Black edition with remote and it's nice to use, but on ATV's where we use them the most a remote doesn't really help much as once the unit is set how you'd like for the day a remote isn't necessary. It is nice having wifi linked to a smartphone to see if the camera is aimed properly and to review footage, but on the other hand I haven't had any bad experiences with aiming my Hero on my own.

Another buddy has the 3+ and the touchscreen is very nice and makes changing settings very easy.

I'm sticking with my "old" Hero until it breaks ;)

I do a lot of video and Hero 3 Black's have been the best by far for me.

I haven't tried the 3+ yet, but I purposely got the 3 Black because of the deals they had on.. $299, which includes the remote.

Can't beat that price for a very high quality 1080p and higher resolution.

I'd love to get my hands on a 3+ and compare the two.

Good article here for differences between Hero 3 and 3+ http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=21225

Its states that the battery life is increased because it has a 1180mAh battery now. I have been using a 'Wasabi' brand battery with my Hero3 which boasts 1200mAh….i have seen no noticeable improvement in battery life with the camera in use, what i have noticed though is the Wasabi batteries hold their charge when not in use whereas the GoPro brand batteries are absolute $#%$#@# and are dead after a few days non usage.