catch and release the big walleyes!!!!

BIG FISH

I agree with catching and releasing the big ones, however I will occasionally keep one if I have a fish fry event on the horizon. That being said if it became law that you could not keep anything over a certain size i would strictly adhere to that regulation. On certain lakes I fish I release all the big fish as they won't, in my opinion, handle the pressure like some of the bigger bodies of water.

Edited by limeyangler

the tourist camps on our lake have had a policy of no walleye over 18 inches for years and the fishing has improved immensely and most of the US visitors I see with big fish, now take pictures and release the big ones.

the locals here though have a different feeling and follow the regulations that allows one over the slot size

So, true. Fish over 5 pounds are normal on Erie. Y'all go hungry looking for 1 to 1 1/2 pound eater size fish. Unless you're talking about the perch :Gonefishing:

I've only been trolling on Erie for a couple years and have caught dozens of walleye so far with only one being under 20"...around 2 1/2 - 3 lbs I'd guess. The fish in the video may be big for the body of water that you're fishing, but on Erie those fish are under the average size from what I've seen.