High Gas Prices This Summer-get used to it

darsky

We all know high gas prices will be the norm for this summer.We can whine,complain,threaten a boycott but in the end we ARE going to pay what they say we are going to pay-period.What we can do is use common sense to try and maximize our gas consumption.Here are a few tips that I know of that helps with this.Feel free to add what you know as well.

1. Make sure your tires are properly inflated (very important)

2. Empty all unnecessary items that will weigh the car down.

3. Drive the speed limit or 10 km within

4. Use cruise control (if possible) on a stretch of highway.

5. Limit airconditioning on hwy (better to open windows a bit)

Just following these 5 tips can decrease your expense by up to 30%

Darsky just to let you you know closed windows with airconditioning on saves more fuel than open windows.

Have you ever seen the show Myth Busters on discovery.

Adam and Jamie did a test with a ford explorer.first they drove around with closed windows and the air cond... on then with the windows open.

The trip with the windows closed and air on got 2 more miles per gallon than the trip with the windows open and the air off.

Windows down created more drag.Just thought you would like to know.

MTP

The price of gasoline has increased??? I hadn't noticed. I just fill up the truck and go, what're ya gonna do?... not buy it???.. or just b i t c h about it? There's nothing you can do about the price except get used to it (just like this title implies).

The tips are acurate, except the windows down one... you're absolutely correct MTP!

I rember back in 1970 when gas jumped from $.25 a gallon to $.50 a gallon and everybody thought it was the end of the world.... not quite...

Hey Mike the Pike,

Funny you mention Myth busters, the other day, they were comparing the tail gate effect on 2 identical trucks...........the truck that had the tailgate up travelled 30 more miles than the one who had it down. Turns out, there's a cushion of air that forms in the bed when the tailgate is up which allows the incoming air to flow much easier.

Re: the windows issue. You are prob all right but I was repeating info in an article in our local paper from last week-guess it was off.

And Marc,at a buck twenty a litre this summer,I KNOW you will make me cast.

Darsky just to let you you know closed windows with airconditioning on saves more fuel than open windows.

Have you ever seen the show Myth Busters on discovery.

Adam and Jamie did a test with a ford explorer.first they drove around with closed windows and the air cond... on then with the windows open.

The trip with the windows closed and air on got 2 more miles per gallon than the trip with the windows open and the air off.

Windows down created more drag.Just thought you would like to know.

MTP

It was to use A/C when doing (something like) +80km/h, and when doing under 80km/h roll the windows down.

Entropy