no trespass posting on lake

beagle dad

Over the past century, the Scugog marshlands have been shrouded in mystery, due to the private nature of the owners. In fact, the land has been off-limits to all but a few local people who either know, or have worked for the Osler family.
Former Port Perry mayor, Howard Hall, says he remembers delivering groceries and supplies from McKee's grocery store in town, to the clubhouse when he was a teenager. On occasion he was invited inside by the caretakers, Mr. and Mrs.
Murray, and recalls being told that Mr. Osler, was an avid hunter who travelled around the world in quest of game. Many of the exotic trophies from his hunts were mounted on the walls.
In an interview with Mrs. Eve Hampson, Henry Osler's granddaughter, she said that Mr. Osler didn't really travel the world hunting. In fact, he only spent a couple of years in the
Sudan. His hunting consisted mainly of collecting animals and birds for the Royal Ontario Museum, which were used for display and research purposes. She says, that after a couple of years of hunting, he turned in his gun for a movie camera, and much of his footage of wild animals he shot is now stored at the Ontario Archives in Toronto.
Mr. Hall also remembers, when he was 12 or 13 years old, his great-uncle, Adolphus Wheler owned about 40 acres of land on the south-west side of the causeway, where Cashway Lumber is today. The property was partially submerged, so they often went out fishing for mudcat at night, and on more than one occassion witnessed a large spot light, located in the tower of the clubhouse, sweeping over the marshlands to keep poachers out. He said he remembers, when the light fell upon anyone who had strayed into the marsh, the trespassers would receive a stern warning they were on private property and told to get out.

BTW...Adolphus Wheler was also a great-uncle of mine...married my grandfather's sister...I spent many summers as a young lad on the said farm outside Port Perry...Beans

Over the past century, the Scugog marshlands have been shrouded in mystery, due to the private nature of the owners. In fact, the land has been off-limits to all but a few local people who either know, or have worked for the Osler family.

Former Port Perry mayor, Howard Hall, says he remembers delivering groceries and supplies from McKee's grocery store in town, to the clubhouse when he was a teenager. On occasion he was invited inside by the caretakers, Mr. and Mrs. Murray, and recalls being told that Mr. Osler, was an avid hunter who travelled around the world in quest of game. Many of the exotic trophies from his hunts were mounted on the walls.

In an interview with Mrs. Eve Hampson, Henry Osler's granddaughter, she said that Mr. Osler didn't really travel the world hunting. In fact, he only spent a couple of years in the Sudan. His hunting consisted mainly of collecting animals and birds for the Royal Ontario Museum, which were used for display and research purposes. She says, that after a couple of years of hunting, he turned in his gun for a movie camera, and much of his footage of wild animals he shot is now stored at the Ontario Archives in Toronto.

Mr. Hall also remembers, when he was 12 or 13 years old, his great-uncle, Adolphus Wheler owned about 40 acres of land on the south-west side of the causeway, where Cashway Lumber is today. The property was partially submerged, so they often went out fishing for mudcat at night, and on more than one occassion witnessed a large spot light, located in the tower of the clubhouse, sweeping over the marshlands to keep poachers out. He said he remembers, when the light fell upon anyone who had strayed into the marsh, the trespassers would receive a stern warning they were on private property and told to get out.

BTW...Adolphus Wheler was also a great-uncle of mine...married my grandfather's sister...I spent many summers as a young lad on the said farm outside Port Perry...Beans

Cool story Norm!!