Over the limit gets a $1600 fine

hammercarp

I think it is more than likely that the rainbows and specks were caught in the pine and were likely under 10" in length.

Not very likely they were steelhead.

This certainly doesn't make it right but it's not nearly as bad as it would be if they were steelhead.

I used to fish that piece of water all the time and the only time I was able to get anything of size was on opener.

Nail on head. Buddy kept himself 32 smolts for the fry pan no doubt. A crappy deal all around, however some of the suggested punishments are a bit over the top. We can barely get appropriate jail time for sexual predators in this country, and people are calling for jail time over fisheries offences?

Edited by porkpie

The article did not say whether the judge heard the whole case in a trial by Judge only and then found him guilty, which meant he probably would have had to hire a lawyer or whether or not the accused entered a guilty plea under a deal with the Crown and his lawyer. Even if he pleads guilty, the judge must still "hear" the evidence to arrive at a sentence even if it's a negotiated one. Usually the Crown will agree to a reduced penalty if they can save the time and cost of trial and still get a conviction.

$1600 isn't a big fine if you consider he may be selling the fish and making money on it as others have suggested. I agree though, some of the suggested punishments are over the top.

34 bows that are small enough to fit into one cooler wouldn't be worth much would they? When was the last time anyone ordered trout at a restaurant and was offered a perch sized fillet? :D

I think the punishment was appropriate if this was a first offense.