Exploring New Lakes-Rice Walleye/Bass Report

MCTFisher9120

Hello everybody, today I'm not feeling too good so what a better time to do a recap on a couple day trips to Rice I took this month with some friends from work. My first trip out was tough, flat calm enjoyable weather the temps were in between 60 and 58 through the day. We got 1 limit of eater size walleyes and I caught a couple bass for to keep us entertained that day. The water was very dirty still I remember on this trip, but enjoyed every second and got to taste some walleyes again!

Scenic Shot

DSCF4702_zps967eaf6a.jpg

First Smallie on the lake first of many to come I think.

DSCF4690_zpsba962204.jpg

Hoisting up a pair of 14-1/2" r's haha, I was happy to fillet fish that night!

DSCF4691_zps434ebfed.jpg

Next trip was the toughest, we had a big storm surrounding the lake last week with calm weather then a East wind later. All in all we jigged more water then I care to remember, I got one fish that afternoon and it was football of a smallmouth on the bucktail.

First was lunch!

DSCF4705_zps2e84d85e.jpg

Really good fight and snapped a pic, the walleyes beat my friend and I. This trip water temps were between 51 and 53 degrees.

DSCF4703_zps3ad07f19.jpg

And the best of the 3 but still by no means a killer day on Rice Lake was yesterday. A different pair of friends this time and the bassboat made for new water to fish and well very chilly cruises down the lake haha. We got to the first spot with no action for almost a hour. First pop on the line was bigger fish, over the slot limit so back she went.

21" Long, ah ok so maybe this lake does have some better sized fish.

DSCF4726_zps84f3d646.jpg

We were all catching the odd bass this day, maybe 10 or 12 together after the day. Love the colour on these fish this time of year, when I can go on my own terms next fall lookout. The bass are around and a flipping jig would be killer on them, can only imagine. Here was my best largie of the day, sitting in the thickest weeds he could find.

Water temps on this trip are now well under 50 degrees. I think mid 40's was the range yesterday.

DSCF4730_zps14525e70.jpg

My friends Carp he jigged up from 10FOW haha the best 5 minutes in the boat all day what a laugh.

DSCF4736_zpsa3421f42.jpg

And last but not least, my new Kawartha PB, a solid 24" of Rice Lake gold. Beast of a fight when this fish came through the weeds at me. Great pic, fight, and release. The eaters escaped us once again but I might have one more shot at the lake this year, well see what happens.

DSCF4727_zps7f4db09c.jpg

All fish in this report were caught on 3/8oz and 1/4oz bucktails. I would pitch them out and let them fall on slack line watching for line jumps when bites were not easy to feel(windy times). Soaked the hair with HogTonic scent once or twice daily. 15lb PowerPro braid tied direct pretty much sums up the technique for them. Like a pitching plastic for bass I'm getting the hand of it. A little more finesse but still fun.

For now, take care and tightlines!

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Some nice hauls from MY lake! Bigger question is... Just how many NRX rods do you own??? hahaha

Cheers, Ron...

Right now or 6 months from now :P 2 pitching sticks 2 spinning. They came out with a new 7'5H and XH...got to try one of those out for pitching the cover next season :P

Why buy any other rod, once you have felt and fished the best it's hard to go back for bottom contact fishing. I have other rods for movings baits and topwaters but when it comes to feel there is nothing like a NRX.

1 more shot next week, well soon see how the weather looks!

I fully understand Mike. One of the best rods I own in my opinion. Paired up with the CI4 there is no weight at all. I'll be doubling up a few of em for next year. Now if only they would come out with a 13-15 footer.......

Cheers, Ron...