Reel lure failures

ubfishin

and with Okuma you get what you pay for.

you pay sub average price, you get sub average quality.

when i worked at the tackle shop and saw folks looking closely at an okuma, i simply pointed to the closest daiwa.

that reins true whether talking an open face trolling reel or spinning reel.

low end or mid end, daiwa > okuma in every instance.

thats funny cause i dislike my daiwa spinning reels. Different strokes for different folks

Salmon gear isn't very complicated. Probably why the Daiwa Sealines haven't changed much since the early 80's. I run a pair of Okuma Convectors on my dipsy setups as well, no complaints.. However, I don't beat on them I do my other fishing gear.

True on the Diawa's..I have a pair of diawa charter specials i've had for over 15 years. They've since been retired as laker rods for trolling Simcoe, but still going strong with very little maintenance. I don't tend to beat on my gear like most do....I let the fish do that!!LOL Nothing like a wire dipsey hit with a 30 lb'er on the end....Thats punishment!

Almost all of my salmon trolling gear including wire dipsey rods and reels are Okuma. Going close to 10 years strong without a failure. That being said, I have no experience with their spinning gear.

If they can make their trolling gear stand up to the punishment of Lake Ontario salmon fishing, I'm surprized they dont put that same quality into their other gear. I guess I'll stick to shimano for spinning stuff.

same here dead on the money !!!!

and with Okuma you get what you pay for.

you pay sub average price, you get sub average quality.

when i worked at the tackle shop and saw folks looking closely at an okuma, i simply pointed to the closest daiwa.

that reins true whether talking an open face trolling reel or spinning reel.

low end or mid end, daiwa > okuma in every instance.

This has been my experience as well...

HH

True on the Diawa's..I have a pair of diawa charter specials i've had for over 15 years. They've since been retired as laker rods for trolling Simcoe, but still going strong with very little maintenance. I don't tend to beat on my gear like most do....I let the fish do that!!LOL Nothing like a wire dipsey hit with a 30 lb'er on the end....Thats punishment!

I've got a set of Sealines that I remember using as a young kid with the oldman (Pair of 27H's and 47Hs) they still are attached to my primary rigger rods (Which are old Fenwick custom fibreglass rods!) I wouldn't trade them for anything.

(Which are old Fenwick custom fibreglass rods!)

I just rediscovered an old 9' Fenwick fibreglass fly rod in the basement Bill. It was my pride and joy back in the day. I'm sure that I have a 7' Fenwick spinning rod down there somewhere as well. Probably with a Mitchell 300 attached to it. Thanks for the memories.

Every company has their strengths, and quite possible their strengths are in their (okuma) heavier duty stuff. You like their heavier duty stuff so much, you buy their bass gear. one model fails, you move on to the next, which (hopefully) holds up. Then you're content or happy, or you move on.

Daiwa lowest end I HATE. if i started with low end daiwa and had the failures i had, id verbally blast the company. As i stand now, midrange daiwa....I'd choose shimano.....high end? Very large toss up with daiwa shimano. Abu? I'm model specific. Pfluegar, never tried long enough....just like lews....never had enough time. Quantum?.......guys, I'm sorry, they (most) are built VERY well, overbuilt in many cases, yet the ones I've used have only been as strong as their weakest link....which SUCKS!.....again no offence here, but there are reasons anglers become "brand specific". I started okuma "high end bass" and they fell wayyyyy short.....but that's JUST my experience. But they were all new to the market gear....

I guess also that a sour taste can be put into ppls mouth by purchasing new to the market products and/or the lemon model of the bunch. Just like buying the first model year of a vehicle........

Oh and btw, rod companies annoy me the most....I cant pick a specific brand . They are all great and suck at the same time.

I agree that the lower price daiwas are just as bad as the okuma brands in comparing trolling reels such as the accudepths to the magdas....I think the sealines are the nicest reels for the money, just never liked there handle which they have now upgraded.......that being said I bought a okuma trio 30, 3 years ago after some positive reviews and it has been an excellent spinning reel.....My buddy purchased the isis 400 for skis and has been happy with that as well.......I have had magdas, convectors and clarions and wouldnt buy another...cant wait to see the sealines in the 500 and 600 size for copper lines

I just rediscovered an old 9' Fenwick fibreglass fly rod in the basement Bill. It was my pride and joy back in the day. I'm sure that I have a 7' Fenwick spinning rod down there somewhere as well. Probably with a Mitchell 300 attached to it. Thanks for the memories.

I gotta get two of my oldmans re-wrapped, but I tell ya there isn't anything else I'd rather reel a big king or laker in with. They are a lot of fun. Also have a old Mitchel 782 Mooching reel that gets used quite a bit as well.