Horizontal shoreline jigging

misfish

Since the river was all blown,I hit the shores of the bay here this morning,as my minor surgery Friday,didnt allow me to use the tube. Ya,hurts to sit. LOL

With all the shiners around this year (anyone that thinks Simcoe is not healthy,think again.) Trillions of shiners every where here. Stupid crazy.

Anywhere there were clouds of them,the bite was real bad. I moved to 4 different spots,and there they were. I thought just maybe,find an area that had a good deep drop off,they wouldnt be there.

I found a spot,but there were some shiners around,but nothing like the clouds of them I had seen at the other spots.

Started off with a craw tube on a slip float. Set it at 20 ft. The odd hit. There were a couple of other anglers in the area and they were having the same results.

I look in the bag and find a small ice fishing spoon jig. I think ok,replace the micro tube with the jig and vertical jig. After my first cast out,the jig was to heavy for the float.

So,lets try this. Just the small spoon jig, I removed the side hooks.Cast out,let it flutter down,twitch the rod reel up a bit. Repeat. And repeat again,line jerks out,fish on. There were no real bigg,ns,all about the size of this one. Lots of them. Even managed a few juvy herring. Surprise.Sorry,no pics of OOS fish.

004_zpsde03e3b7.jpg

I continued to use this pattern and it worked all morning. I had a few of the other anglers ask what the heck I was doing. I was more then happy to show them,and one guy says,I got one of those. He set up and he was on to them too.

Water has gotten colder which is nice. Think,n when I get out in the tube again,it will be winter woolys under the track pants..BRRRRR.

At one point this morning,a hoard of cormerans came in. The local terns and gulls werent to happy.

001_zps20c784f7.jpg

Edited by Misfish