Fish lift tonight 5pm -7:30pm

fishindevil

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151923400930428&set=a.10150323410530428.392212.582555427&type=197F38A4C-4DB8-4847-B1FF-4027FEA6EB1D-940 received this on my fb page from Pete seto of shimano they are doing a fish lift tonight in bommanville at the dam so anyone can go help and if you want to see how it's done !!! Pete says they will mark the 10k fish they have lifted tonight !!! Just passing on info --- tight-lines. It's quite a site to see for sure !!!!

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not on the face book and never heard of a fish lift. If I were to guess from your short description of a dam nearby I'm guessing its opening a dam to allow fish upstream or physically getting them and releasing them upstream. Am I correct? Just curious. Like I said I've never heard of the term.

Its at the bowmanville creek. The fishway has been shut down, so volunteers have been lifting them over the dam manually. They have a pulley system set up where they net the fish, put them in a bag, and hook them on the pulley. They're released upstream. I've helped a couple nights down there now. Its quite a mess, they need all the help they can get.

S.

The fish ladder is there and been in place for many years !!!! For some reason it's not in service and needs repairs !!!! So they are doing it manually like sinker said !! And yes it's at the old good-year dam just a mile south of hwy 2 in bommanville can't miss the place !!!!

The fish ladder was never broken, it just wasn't big enough for the chinooks.

I think this valleys 2000 group is screwing with the money for the ladder myself, but I could be wrong.

Its sure taking a long time to get anything done, and nobody seems to have a straight answer on whats happening.

S.

It seems like they are doing it when they can get all the volenteers together ?? I believe there is bomanville steelhead members on this site so they would know I was just passing the info on I seen on Facebook as I know Pete seto so I thought it was a good thing to pass on to our great bunch of people here !!! I hope they keep lifting there's a ton of fish there

The old fish ladder was installed in 1988 and never was intended for salmon. At that time MNR would not admit that the Chinook could or would reproduce in any of our rivers.

We were also limited to 25% of summer mean flow by Goodyear. They were still using the dam for cooling.

As you can see the old fish ladder was wildly successful.

Looks like some bad planning shutting the old ladder down before the control channel was ready, good thing the right guy showed up with the right plan or we really would have a disaster.

I don't know why it took them so long to get started, there's obviously a tonne of people wanting to help, they should have been doing this since August when the first big runs came in!

they have been, just 2 seasons of manually lifting fish is a pain in the arse cause of a little red tape

There you go boys...find out who the private owner of the dam is ....start protesting ...get involved...make some noise...there are alot of good videos in this thread to shock the everyday average people ....put faces to the problem and put more faces to the people with the solutions...this is total Bull in my opinion...for all the people that volunteer...Good on ya !!!