Really nasty looking fish wound....

ccmtcanada

Bly and I went to one of our walleye hotspots to see if they are swimming close to shore yet. We saw a little increase in bait fish, so we decided to give it a try.

On the last cast of the night, I threw a wally diver out there and began my retrieve. My retrieve suddenly stopped....just like when some of the walleye would hit it. I set the hook and the fish started to bolt. As I brought it in, it jumped out the water a few times...I was really hoping for my first eye of the season, but alas, I somehow ended up snagging a carp...on the underside of the mouth. It was a fair size....at 28".

When we brought it in, it had this nasty looking wound...not sure if it's some kind of virus, effects of a parasite, injury from another fish? Anyhow...here's a pic....What do you think?

gallery_60_23_97440.jpg

Looks like a plain old, run of the mill, bacterial infection. I've seen the same thing with other bottom feeders including Brown Bullhead and Freshwater Drum.

All it takes is a small cut or abrasion to remove scales or the protective slime coating on fish and they become prone to bacterial infections.

Tony

Walleye commonly carry Lymphocystis, and it looks like this:

f12.gif

Pike and Muskellunge commonly carry Lymphosarcoma which looks similar to what the Carp has but it is a different type of viral infection. Lymphosarcoma looks like this:

lymphosarcoma_02.jpg

Yummy! :lol:

Tony

No problem Ken, glad to share my knowledge to help other people out. It's actually good to know the fish pathology class I studied at Fleming is actually being put to practical use :lol:

Lymphocystis and Lymphosarcoma affected areas should be removed from fish you are going to eat. Other parasites like trematodes (yellow grubs, black spot) can all be consumed safely by humans with no health issues. However, most people release fish that are heavily infected and look bad, myself included ;)

Stay away from fish that have roundworms in them (long thread-like worms in the flesh, usually reddish in colour) I'm pretty sure these can complete their life-cyle as adults in humans. I have only ever seen these worms in Herring caught on Lake Nippissing.

Tony