Shagy Manes? - I'm 90% sure. NF .. graphic pic added...

NAW

I've eaten Shagy Manes before. But they where picked by someone who knew exactly what they where doing.

These are growing in my yard.

90% sure they are Shaggy Manes. Can anyone confirm?

IMG_1324_zps14878a0b.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

Yes, they are.

Not the best eating mushroom but,good to make soup. Fry first

Look for Blewits soon they are best.

I'll have to look those up.

I see people walking all over the bush with buckets. Not sure what they are harvesting?

Yup they sure look like them. Nice specimens too. A lot of my field mushrooms get eaten by bugs before I can even get to them

We have eaten them almost every thanksgiving for the last 10 years or so. Up at the cottage. But they where half the size of these. Just growing in my lawn.

Here is a site i use sometimes hope it is helpful.

http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php?ctgy=edible_mushrooms&region=ontario

Thanks for the link!

I just finished a nice evenning snack!

Fresh as fresh can be.. Shot a few hours ago. Goose breast and Shaggy Manes pan fried in butter, garlic and whisky smoke seasoning!!!! I took my favourite strip of meat from the goose. The shaggy manes added a really nice flavour.

IMG_1321_zpsb786368f.jpg

IMG_1327_zpsa510c2f3.jpg

IMG_1330_zps55ea6d18.jpg

Two beasts are in the slow cooker right now. Gunna be turned in to BBQ pulled goose... and chowed down as sloppy joes tomorrow for dinner!

IMG_1331_zpsfebea3c1.jpg

One goose will be sliced up thin and turned in to jerky

And the other I am still deciding what to do. I'm thinking of trying somethig new to me.. Grind it up, mix with ground pork, and make goose burgers.

First harvest of the season, so I always like to try something new!

morals, and puff balls

Morals are only in the spring. But there are several other mushrooms that are in season right now.

Can all puff balls be eaten, regardless of size?

No. but for the most part yes. The good thing about puffballs is that most of them (if not all) are non-poisonous. The indibility of some of them is because it would be like eating dust or wood chips and other times it's because they are rotting.

The ones you see that are bright white, and fairly small, usually in clusters in the grass or on old stumps, they are edible and good to eat. Just make sure that they are white and meaty thoughout the puffball, otherwise it'll be gross and basically rotten. I brought one home the other day that was green inside...yuck.

Good stuff Nick and Chad. Lookin' great. Got one of these yesterday...rare as hen's teeth around here. Hate like hell to put them in the pan they're so pretty. But, took a coupla pics a few minutes ago to show you. They are pleurottes (the pink variety). Have beef in the smoker right now. Will eat them with that I guess.

007.JPG

008.JPG

Good looking harvest guys! I found my first puffball of the season a few weeks ago, they might be done now though. A lot of people out harvesting mushrooms around here as well. This rain will knock down the ripe ones, but will make more fresh ones grow. Love this time of year, but I need to study my mushrooms. I know I'm seeing a lot of edibles, but I'm too chicken to pick them and eat.....lol

S.

Saw these exploring my property today.

The first ones are some kind of oyster (haven't confirmed yet), the other is chaga (great for tea and tinder).

IMG_00000004_zps995fed32.jpg

Those aren't Oyster mushrooms, Oyster mushroom have white gills.

Those are possibly slightly hallucinogenic Gymnopilus.

The pleurottes that Roy picked are Oyster mushroom..

Finding bounties of Black Morels in May( is best, they are bugless too.