Net Handle

Sour_Squirrel

Take the cap off the end and slide a broom handle in 15" or so, drill either through both and put in a bolt and wing nut or just through the aluminum net handle and screw a screw eye into the wood. Mark both the broom handle and the net handle with a marker so you easily know where it lines up. Whole thing can be taken apart and thrown in the trunk (keep the bolt and wing nut in your tackle pack or the screw eye twisted into the broom handle).

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Go to a pool supply store and see if they have old school aluminum skimmer handle extensions. Take your net and see if it happens to fit inside the extension. If it does just by a button spring clip for inside the net end, and drill the holes in the extension where you want them. then you should be good to go. I customized my net to fit exactly in my car so the handle doesn't have to sit between the front seats. I also found that a standard shower rod fit exactly inside the extension handle. So I bought another button spring clip put it inside the shower rod section. Now I have a 15ft net way sturdier than any of the newer paint roller/broom handle deals that people cobble together and mine doesn't have wingnuts sticking out, cutting people and geting lost.

The best part was the price the clips were 3 bucks each, the extension was 2.80 a foot and the shower rod was one I was going to throw out anyhow.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I used a tent pole...works well for carp fishing as long as you don't try to lift the carp by using the handle...lift it out by the net rim...the handle telescopes in the middle...loosens and tightens by a turn-screw...

.jpg]

Edited by Beans

Canuck2fan..... do you buy the button spring clips at the pool store or somewhere else? (and just so you know I have never been cut or lost my wingnuts :tease: )

Burt :)

I got mine at the pool supply store a few years ago. Now they only carry the new light aluminum handles with the plastic screw heads for mops, and paint bushes. I would check out out RV camping places too?

I switched to the button clips for two reasons.

One morning I arrived at "THE" spot and could not figure out why no one else was there yet. It was still dark so I broke out the rod, baited up, put on the glow stick and cast out. I set the rod down and turned to get my net put together. I grabbed my rod just as it headed over the side about 10 seconds later. I set the hook heard a huge splash. Could tell I had something interesting on. I then shone my light around the river and saw that the posts were still in. (that explained why no one else was fishing there) So I had to put my net together with a wingnut while holding the rod with my knees, fighting the fish so it wouldn't wrap around the posts. Anyhow I got the net together landed a huge rainbow buck. Released the fish and swore to myself I would find a better way to put my net together.

The next morning I went to a different spot, but had NOT done anything about the net. Not being a total moron I put the net together first. I was watching lots of fish jump so I wasn't paying too close attention. I then walked out on to a dock which had a hollow post at the end of it. I set the net into the hole in the post and started to fish. I got one on in about 10 minutes. Nice hen, played it until was ready to net. Reached for the net and when I pulled it up. I discovered I had not put the wingnut through a hole and heard a splash as the bottom extension fell into water in the post.... So to land the hen I had to walk it around 12 floating docks back to the boat launch which was the closest place that I knew I could reach the water or beach the fish. I got to dock 4 before someone else showed up with a net. LOL...

I stopped at the first pool supply store I saw on my way home. Haven't looked back since.

As for cutting myself I never did on my net but I have seen more than one person do it while using someone else's net for the first time. I have also seen more than one fishing party looking for the wingnut or bolt that was lost. One friend solved this problem by using spring cotter pins but another friend sliced himself on one of those after a few wobbly pops and trying to net his first salmon...

Wow just checked on amazon.com button clip is .85 and shipping is almost 10.00 bucks not very cost effective LOL

http://www.amazon.com/tubing-60-1-12-52-1-12-Square-Single/dp/B002PTQLOS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_4

Edited by Canuck2fan