Pigeon Lake Algae Bloom

captpierre

Spent the last week at the cottage -north east Pigeon Lake.

On arrival last weekend the water at the dock was like green pea soup.

The wind had concentrated the algae but all across the lake the algae was thick.

At least the top 12 inches of the water column.

Worse, in the calm bays, it looked like someone spilled torquoise paint into the water.

Light blue and green algae was sticking to rocks and wooden docks.

I'm guessing this is the dreaded bluegreen algae that is potentially toxic if ingested.

Notice no significant algae in Chemong, Buckhorn and Stoney lakes.

Anybody know anything about this? Without having all the facts, I'm concerned that the Bobcageon

sewage plant may have something to do with it, together with the 2 hot days we had a few days before.

Any thoughts?

I stayed up there recently and it was terrible. around big island you could actually see a big plume of algae as you drobe through it reminded me of wildwood and other southwestern ontario reservoirs or lake of the woods.

the bald narrows I saw a bunch of blue green algae too. occasionally I would see soap suds I wonder if there is some cottages and or houseboats dumping soaps into the lake as well?

Its being caused by rapid warming and then the alge takes over sturgeon has lots of that crap floating around as well !!!! Remember last week it got really warm quickly ?? It's happened a few times this summer and lots of weeds are starting to die off too as turnover is in motion !!! We have had a few frosts already up here in the kawarthas and that algae smells bad too !!!! We never ever had this stuff years ago welcome to the warming lakes for sure it's now the norm every summer now the biologists have had meetings about the slime and algae and blame it on the warming effect as well as water clarity and increased weed growth and farm runoff as well as growth around the lakes I was reading all about a few weeks ago !!! They were discussing balsam pigeon sturgeon and buckhorn lakes it's not good news that's for sure ..

Everyone sees it differently. I would die to have some algae (not the big green balls) or stain to the water in the south end. It might be the changing water temps, but it could also be the size of some of the homes being built and the septic systems. Some of the older cottages have been replaced with larger ones on small lots, so the septics are too close to the water. Just a thought,

I don't think it is the toxic form of algae. I was out yesterday and it's still covering the lake down to Grenedier Island; it seems to disappear in the south end. Fishing was terrible all day and we were blaming it on the algae, but I started catching some fish after 5pm. That stuff was dripping all over the baitcasters and making them very slippery. Had to be careful not to throw the rod out of my hands when casting. It will only take a few cold days and it should disappear.

Yes the lake is in turnover as well,but the algae is still a big problem

Seemed the northeast end of Pigeon would have algae blooms at this time of year for last 30 yrs. Fish would seem to be in transition towards deeper water now.

With the zebra mussels clearing the water 10-15 yrs. ago, It sure made the walleye go even deeper there.

Algae bloom meant it was musky trolling time for me lol

Our lagoon where we dock our boats (north shore of Pigeon Lake) is really yucky !!!

Some of my neighbors pulled their boats out of the water weeks ago when this first started...

Does anyone know if the algae can harm boats/motors ???

Edited by Beans

Fishednorth end taits bay and big/littlebald - no issues, down near big island channel still bloom. Fishing was really good really shallow - they were all in less than 3 feet.

Every year this happens, not sure by the 14th October will be all over water temp was still 66 degrees which was surprising -

Bait selection _ Punder bulldawg DSCF1876_zpsa3927163.jpg