Transporting Minnows

jimca11

There is a VHS zone which means if you buy minnows around the Great Lakes and lake simcoe they cannot be taken out of that zone !!! It's so the spread of VHS does not go into other lakes !!! The bait shop will know or call the MNR all bait shops are required to know and have that info !!!!

No woodsman that's what my bait shop guy said too ?? The restrictions apply to them as to where they can trap/buy them but anglers can take them everywhere ???? Huh ...... Doesn't make sense it can still transmit the VHS disease !!!! But at the very least do not dump your extra minnows in a lake or river sinker is right too it's how invasives can get to new water !!!! And a goby could be in there and you would never know it ?? Or zebra or quagga or even water fleas !!!! I personally don't use minnows much only spring and fall a few times that's all my bait shop guy says the paper work he needs now is ridiculous to trap and buy/sell bait cause of all of the above !!!! I am in FMZ 17 so if you wanted to buy emerald shimmers to fish here in bobcaygeon my bait guy cannot get them or sell them cause emerald shiners come from a VHS zone but you could buy them in the city and bring them up and use them here ??! Doesn't make sense ???? But that's the MNR for you !!!!! They never make things cut& dry or simple it's always complicated !!!!! Lol

I have purchased minnows from several bait shops in southern Ontario and nearly ever place has had non native species is the bag. I am with cram and Sinker, regardless of any legal right you may have to transport the minnows for personal use I would strongly recommend catching them yourself from the waterbody you are going to use them in or get them from the closest bait shop to the waterbody. I also strongly recommend that anglers take personal responsibility to educate themselves and others on the identification of legal vs illegal baitfish species. Here is the link to the baitfish primer produced by the DFO, OMNR, OFAH and BAO.

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2011/mpo-dfo/Fs134-7-2010-eng.pdf

Thanks for the great insight, reading the reg's all it seems to say is what species of bait can be used, I will be trying to trap my own on the lake or does anyone know of a bait shop in the Elephant / Benoir Lake area?

There is one in wilberforce called "the fishes lunchbox". They had no minnows on the long weekend though. Very easy to trap minnows up there though. Just about. Every ditch, creek, and swamp is full of them. The creeks that cross elephant lake rd, just south of elephant lake lodge always has enough for us, but I haven't trapped there this year. Bring a trap, you'll have no trouble catching bait.

S.