Brook Trout advice?

Locnar

I am interested in attempting to catch my first brook trout. I hear there are lakes harbouring them, and I hear they hang out in headwaters of Lake O tribs. But from what I understand, they get to be a much better size in the lakes. Either way, I don't really know where to start looking. I live in the durham region, and have tried some of the headwaters of some tribs... only to find chub and once in a while a resident rainbow. I've heard flies, spinners and spoons work well for them.

Any recommendations of where I should begin my hunt? I'm not asking for spots in particular, unless you are willing to give up a lake name lol... but more of general area. Anything remotely close to the durham region?

Thanks in advance for any hints that you may or may not send my way.

What Bill said. I found some great brookie water when i used to live around the block from you...even found some nice browns in the mix. I also found it really slowed down in the summer so it should pick up in a couple weeks once waters cooled down.

Fly fishing was always the most effective for me. I had some 10-15 fish days where i couldnt get them to touch a spinner or worm. Size 8 - 12 bead head nymphs under an indicator are deadly.

Do your homework and lots of walking like I did long before the Internet,I have walked many many miles of creeks from where they come out of the ground to where they flow into Lake Ontario from the rouge river to Brighton and caught trout and the red wiggled worms and wax worms and maggots always worked as did tadpoles heck we even used grasshoppers we caught most of our bait ... It will all work but be prepared to do some bush whacking to follow some of the smaller creeks but you will be rewarded !!!! And when you get a 12" or bigger brookie you will know it was all worth it !! Study a topo map and zero in on a few spots and start from there ...good luck and wear some shin pads from all the log jams !!!! Lol