FUEL PHASE SEPERATION- worth sharing & NF

Pikeslayer

I always read posted links here regarding engine issues as I find them for the most part informative and somewhat educational. One common element to these threads; I can't remember many suggestions/recommended fixes where it's been suggested to check your fuel supply/quality??

So on to another goat rodeo.......

Id been having ongoing issues with my Honda 9.9 kicker in the last month. Into the mechanic for a suspected throttle issue (per Internet detective work). Carb cleaned, ran great in the shop, get on the water and putters out after a minute running time. Back to the shop. Get a text message with a photo showing 'contaminated fuel'...

5163600161e3e91ca9fd5383fc6b3846_zps5cdf

I draw a sample from the 12 L portable tank and send to Dave. Nope. All's well with the fuel...

1c60443bf4646d38c7ed4d4d4ff040ec_zpsabb3

...with an added note to mention we almost sunk the boat due to "the plug issue". He say 'K' and flushes the lines for 1/2 hour labour and I says thx.

On the water this past Sunday, same $#!¥ happens!!!!

Now I'm too embarrassed to take it back and I'm determined to figure this cluster out. Took a sample from the carb bowl...

f3216edd50d81b11ab0f8e29fbaee940_zps82be

"Oh my goodness" says I. 'What in the world is going on here' I says to myself in a very calm manner. Then a 15W lightbulb glows in the space above my shoulders and a voice from that very same place suggests I take another sample from the fuel tank. "But this time, don't draw it from the top, take it from the fuel line dumb dumb". BINGO!!!....

0455f6211cd1799cf88793ae9ab64ccf_zpsafa9

So the fuel is disposed of @ one of Peel Regions Community Recycling Centres (hazardous waste site) @ no charge BTW. Tank is cleaned, all fuel lines & filter blown and flushed with fresh gas + high concentrate of Seafoam and drained. Flushed and drained a 2nd time with fresh gas. Fouled plugs cleaned and ready to fire!! Started first pull and ran @ idle & variable throttle speed for 30 minutes :) :)

The voice inside my head says "Congratulations. Well done!! Pour yourself a drink". "But I ain't done yet" I tell her. "I gots to find the root cause".

Turns out the seal of the vent cover on the tank was compromised and as I store it outside, was subject to rain and early morning dew seeping into the tank. As I've subsequently learned, it doesn't take too much moisture/water contamination to reach the tipping point of total phase separation. Also storing the tank in blazing sun all day doesn't help either apparently. Corrective actions have been implemented and we enjoyed our Appleton's & Coke.

So hopefully sharing another Pikeslayer Goat Rodeo will save somebody here a lot of aggrevation, some $$$ and grief (from the little voice in your head).

Even the latest addition to our fishing team, Kiera Grace was impressed ;)

b07d8ba0864e905810922316810b6d31_zps4f8d

Edited by pikeslayer

Forget your mechanical issues - she' a beautiful baby. Congratulations

Ok now to your mechanical problems. I'm like you - love to read & be educated on the mechanical issues. I always try to use shell premium gas due to no ethanol. If I have old gas I use it in my van, & always make sure I have fresh premium gas for my outdoor adventures.

Did I mention Kiera is beautiful??

Thanks for the kind words for KG gentlemen :). Yes we are very proud of our newest Grandaughter. Like her (soon to be) 3 year old sister Leah, both girls are blessed with strong Celtic genes from the outlaw's side.

One last unabashed photo;

Leah's found an alternate use for Poppa's fish box...

bfec3b69c53e0f6945390f35d22d3a49_zps774b

Edited by pikeslayer