How much do you fish topwater for muskies?

bigcreekdad

I love topwater, but have historically only used the technique very early in the morning a after dinner til dark.Last year, my only two muskies landed were on topwater....both after dinner.

Fishing the French on Friday, our guide, Tyler, suggested using one during the day.

With nothing else working anyway after an hour of throwing lots of lures, I tied on a Topper Stopper. After 10 minutes, a very nice (guessing 50" fish) was right behind it. Could not get it to hit, but wondering if I shouldn't be throwing topwater more, regardless of time of day, season, or weather. Also, getting a bit of arthritis in my wrist, and topwater is easy casting and retrieving.

In any case, I'd like to hear thoughts from the group if you have any.

Never on my home waters.... Most fishing I do here is 15+ feet of water... Tough to get a musky to charge up that far...

But a lot when I'm on trips and its stained/dirty water....

I don't find them as effective as other options... But man it's fun getting smoked on a top water....

I use them every trip out on LSC I use them from 4-20 FOW they do work awesome for deep musky that want to eat.

They are not my go to starting lure but get used early and under high sun.

I Remember hearing years ago that a musky over 50" can swim 5'or6' with one swipe of its tail. It does not take much to get to the surface with a couple swooshes.

Last year I had boated 3 musky lost 7 more and all were on the top water after 9am. I could not get them to bite on anything else after fishing 4 hours I finally went to my top raider.

Have caught muskie numerous times on bass topwaters while fishing for bass.

Bought one musky topwater about 20 yrs. ago called Dancin' Raider(before Topraider came out).

Had about 20 muskie hit it over the years, sometimes very spectacularly, but the amount of fish boated was zero.

Have caught a bunch on other presentations but musky size topwaters....nada.

Top water baits can be effective any time of day and even work well when the water is choppy.

I don't fish after dark much anymore but we used to do it alot and a favorite tactic was using a 10" black jointed Believer clipped on the shallow eye and work it slowly over shallow water. The combination of the slow rhythmic wobble of the bait on the surface, along with the clicking of the rattles is irresistible to muskies and you'll be surprised at how many you get.

i have thrown top water this year more than ever before as i am determined to get one in the boat on it. i have tried it during low light and high sun with nothing to show for it. even on lake of the woods i tried it several evening during prime time with nothing to show for it. i havent given up but i am losing confidence quick with most topwaters.

i have had more hits on my prop style ones that the walk the dog which somewhat surprises me because the walk the dog style ones look so good.

ah well hopefully i can get one to go by the end of the year

Caught this big girl on a top raider in a figure 8 right by the boat 5 years ago. To this day, I dont throw them as much as I probably should as I have a few other baits I have more confidence in, but they do work. I do like throwing the walk the dog baits as well.

DSC01546.jpg

they work on certain bodies of water better than others, don't know why -- it's just the way it is

they will even work over 60' water -- caught one casting off the 'canadian side' of the boat a few years back that hit in no mans land; open water well off the structure. before you think they are a shallow water only bait, take a look at the length of your typical boat (15-18') and compare it to a 4' fish.. two tails kicks and they have that distance covered - 25' is really a joke to a muskie.

I use them religiously.

Actually I'm somewhat of a topwater junkie. Top 2 for me are Topraiders and Jackpots, with Topraiders "usually" first out of the box, but I definitely use the Jackpot more often. There is something about watching that bait coming in with a torpedo behind it that has me hooked. The Jackpot is also an excellent search bait, if you want to know if there is a fish in the area, this bait will bring them in.

We had one smash my buddies lure boat side at full dark

I've caught an awful lot of night time muskies over alot of years and in my experience the vast majority hit right at boatside as your starting a figure 8.

Not many things in fishing get the heart pounding more than a big ole musky hammering your bait right under your nose on total darkness :lol:

Cnv1883.jpg

Edited by lew

Biggest fish I have had on my line came just the other day on the French on a top raider.... lost her bait side. It was a terible feeling. I find to have a burtal hookup ratio with any topwater I throw, but I use them often because the action I get on them.

I find to have a burtal hookup ratio with any topwater I throw, but I use them often because the action I get on them.

One thing to try (in case you haven't already) on your topraider or any bait for that matter is to bend the treble under the belly portion of the bait into a "T". That way you've got two of the trebles sticking out and may help your hookup percentage.