2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4 Diesel

Steve

The only reason I have the oil changed at my mechanics is because my Cherokee came with an extended warrantee and I need a receipt as proof that I had regular maintenance done on the vehicle for the warrantee to remain valid.

The oil my mechanic uses costs $13/litre. I can't recall the name but it's a high end oil with a German name. It meets and exceeds the specs required for the engine.

I use 5w20 synthetic oil.

Bought the 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel about 1 1/2 years ago. Had a problem with the air intake hose leaking oil onto the actuator motor and frying it. (Coming from crankcase vent hose connected to air intake) Fault the person who last took it off and didn't put it on properly. The motor becomes very sluggish and limits power output. ( I assume as a safety measure) Chrysler wanted to drop the entire engine to fix it at a cost of several thousand $$$. An independant shop wanted $1500. After searching for a solution online, I discovered several people who have dealt with the same issue.

The fix: a $ 0.25 resistor you can buy at most electronics shops. Yes, I said twenty five cents. You disconect the electrical plug for the actuator, slip the resistor's pins into the plug and computer thinks the actuator is still working fine. Motor runs like normal again. Been driving like this for over a year with no problems. Apparently, the actuator isn't really needed. :rolleyes:

Oil changes are very expensive through Chrysler. I think I paid $226. for the first oil change. Canadian Tire does not sell this oil. Using any oil without the correct spec could damage the diesel particulate filter at a cost of about $3000. (although, I know some people have removed the DPF and tweaked the computer which allows them to use cheaper diesel engine oil) The oil is very specialized 229.5 spec (not 229.51) low sulfur oil and not easily found in Canada. About $16/litre at the dealer. The engine takes about 9.5 litres, so $160+ tax just for the oil. Oil changes are recommended every 10,000 km for this clean burning 3.0 litre diesel.

Solution: I bought a Mity Vac. A large cylinder with manual pump that's specifically made for stuff like oil changes. Found the oil for a cheap price through an independent auto parts shop. $30 for a 5 litre jug compared to $16 for 1 litre. Picked up an oil filter for about $14 and did the next oil change myself. The oil filter is at the top of the engine, so very easy to change. All I had to do was buy the specialty socket to loosen the cap. $27 at the same local tool shop where I found the Mity Vac. If I'm not mistaken, Princess Auto carries them (or similar product) and probably cheaper than what I paid.

Everything went so well with this oil change, I did the same thing on my 2011 diesel Jetta. Paid over $100 at the dealer the last time I took it in. Only takes 5 litres though. Again, oil filter is on top of the engine. Takes the same MB229.5 (VW507) oil, so I bought a dozen 5 litre jugs for future oil changes. Had to buy another large socket to get the cap off the housing to access the oil filter. ($15) The money I saved on these two oil changes was more than enough to pay for all the tools I bought. Oil changes are recommended every 15,000 km on the Jetta's 2.0 litre clean burning diesel engine.

Would I buy the Grand Cherokee with Mercedes 3.0 litre diesel engine a second time? Absolutely !!! Truck is rated to tow up to 7400lbs. My boat and trailer probably weigh 2500 lbs, so not an issue. Towed my utility trailer with a full load of firewood (approx. 3500- 4000 lbs.) without any problem. Engine is strong, fuel efficient and it's cheaper to fill the tank with diesel. (todays prices)

Hope this helps !

Edited by Carp

Yup, the issues you were having with your Jeep were with the EGR, can't beat a $0.25 fix! Make sure the oil you're using for your Jetta is VW507 approved or else they'll give you a hard time if you ever need warranty repairs (Although I suspect you're using Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 which is both MB 229.5 and VW507 approved) FYI, OCI for your Jetta is 16,000kms :) Also can't beat canister filters! So easy to replace without getting oil all over the place.