One more powerpro thought for you all...

ssauvain

On my spin cast reels, used for catching walleyes...what pound of powerpro should I be using..is the 10lb. too light? Also on my baitcasters, I use for mainly walleyes trolling shad raps, what lb. for it? I will use it occassionaly for a pike rod too??? thanks guys and gals for any suggestions.

On my spin cast reels, used for catching walleyes...what pound of powerpro should I be using..is the 10lb. too light? Also on my baitcasters, I use for mainly walleyes trolling shad raps, what lb. for it? I will use it occassionaly for a pike rod too??? thanks guys and gals for any suggestions.

I use 8 to 10 pound on my spin cast reels. Have brought in plenty of 12 to 14 pound walleye on them from shore. I find for me, that fishing shore, the water tends to be clearer (cause I'm fishing in water that's from 3 to 8 feet deep), so having smaller diameter line makes it less visible to them.

You can get away with 20 or 30lb powerpro as I think it only has a line diameter equivalent to 8lb monofilament. What I usually do is tie a 6-10' leader on of mono or flourocarbon in 8-12lb test depending on the type of fishing I am doing.

You can use a uni to uni knot to achieve a very strong connection between the braid and leader line.

uniuni01uc8.jpg

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Be warned tho, that 30 lb stuff is scary strong. My Pa hooked a little cleo very well into a sunken log just out of reach of paddle last week. After all attempts to dislodge the hook failed, he wrapped four or five turns around the fish bonker and leaned into it. He guessed that the line parted at about 50 lbs of pull, but not at the palomar knot. The line failed where it was wrapped around the bonker.

Is it the same thing if you use a barrel swivel instead a uni to uni. And also I know mono is nearly invisible underwater but what about the steel leaders.I've been using those for pike fishing but find I can't use some of my topwaters properly.

I use the FINS PRT braid which is similar to PP and 10 and 15lb test is fine on spinning reels. For casting don't go any lower than 30lb as the diameter is only 8lb mono. You can get away with up to 30lb on the spinning reels but watch out for you lb recommendations on your rod also.

I use 6lb test fireline on my spinning rod. I have never used powerpro so I dont know if its thinner or not. Was even considering trying out 4lb test. I like the limper and thinner diameter for casting distance. As far as the strength part of it the 6 lb test I use has caught some large fish.

A few years back during a pickerel tourney I hooked into a pike shortly before check in time. We already had our limit in pickerel but were looking for some bigger ones. I had to horse in the pike as quickly as possible. It was just a little over 20lbs. No leader, just a snap swivel tied on the end attached to a jig. That sold me on fireline forever. Guess I should try out the powerpro though, hear a lot about it.

I have never used Power Pro in the low # test, but I would imagine that 15# test would be sufficient on a spining reel. I would use an 6-8# test fluoro leader.

John

Over the many years of fishing especially walleye I have gone to 4# mono line and haven't lost any fish. However, since I am not a meat fishermen I really don't care if I do lose a fish. Using the light line I tend to get more bites than my fishing partner especially in clear water or on negative fish.

I agree with Billy Bob. I have been using 4 lb mono for over 30 years for shallow water walleye jigging and have never had a walleye break off. The clutch on the reel takes care of that. I have tried 6 and 10 lb Fireline and I do catch walleye but somehow, I don't seem to get as many bites.....but, I am still experimenting.

However, if the bottom is very dirty and I often getted snagged, I quit using the 4 lb mono and go to 6 or 10 lb Fireline. I would prefer using a limper line like Tuff Line Plus but none of the braided lines are fine enough. If they ever make 6 ou 8 lb braided line, I would buy a spool real quick.

It's not true that braided lines are as thin as what is marked on the packages. Braided lines are about 40% thinner than good mono. This means that 20 lb test braid is about the same size as 12 lb mono.....not 8 lb mono. Put both lines up against a lighted background and see for yourself.

The new generation lines are way under rated. Most of these new lines break at near twice the marked tensil strength if they are not subjected to hard sudden shocks.

Edited by Dabluz

I agree with Billy Bob. I have been using 4 lb mono for over 30 years for shallow water walleye jigging and have never had a walleye break off.

Yeah but how many jigs or other lures do you break off when you get snagged on bottom :stretcher: