What's Up With Embellished Bass Weights?

Rich

I always carry a scale and a tape for any pb that I may catch. So I was out fishing with my buddy and we always play the game " guess the weight" I took a picture of one bass with my phone and sent it to a friend with a little less experience than us asking him how much do you think this fish weighs ? he replied 5 1/2 pounds plus. the fish didn't even weigh 2 1/2 lbs. Now any decent fish that may be personal bests have pictures taken with the fish on the scale ( making sure the tail can be seen without any hands pulling it down lol) a measurement pic and then a quick one with me. My theory is a picture doesn't lie. So all my buddies know that if they want me to believe the weight of a fish they better have a pic with it on a scale needless to say all of us now have the same digital scale.

You pretty well gotta measure Kawartha pickerel nowadays Lew...Gotta be between 14 and 19 inches to keep for eating...

Crappieperchhunter has a measuring tape on one of the seats in his boat so we could measure the perch...only keep those between 9 and 12 inches...all the rest over/under go back in the swim...(if it is a real good day we only kept those between 10 and 12 inches)

I know, some of your baits are bigger than that... :good: :good:

Edited by Beans

I dont see any use in weighing any sort of fish, unless you've got a potential for the IGFA books...length and girth measurements give you better indication of size,as well as age.

I like to weigh fish when I'm pre fishing a tourney to know what my weight would be at the end of each pre fish day...

You pretty well gotta measure Kawartha pickerel nowadays Lew...Gotta be between 14 and 19 inches to keep for eating...

Crappieperchhunter has a measuring tape on one of the seats in his boat so we could measure the perch...only keep those between 9 and 12 inches...all the rest over/under go back in the swim...(if it is a real good day we only kept those between 10 and 12 inches)

I know, some of your baits are bigger than that... :good: :good:

What Beansie said. And when it's just under "my size" I usually tell the little bugger that it is it's lucky day as I release it :P

There' nothing wrong with weighing, measuring, or just photo'ing fish.

My pet peeve is the people lying about it after.

To say "theres no point in weighing fish" etc is a completely personal opinion. I know my PB largemouth by weight, cuz guess what I bet it was the same length as a few I caught that were 2-3lbs smaller. It's up to the angler how they remember their catch... It's more so up to them how they show it off. ;)

I got a dozen over 6 opening week :P Adding weight is silly and something everybody wishing they were fishing talk about. Honestly, post your pics I weigh bass I believe are going to be over 4lbs. But fish we get in the start of the year are fat, you may find 22" largies that are mid 4lbs and skinny when you know in the fall or after the right week they can be well over 5lbs.

A bass is a bass, the bigger the better! Still chasing my PB of 6-14...one day :Gonefishing:

Was going to let this go.. but... (after a week of the same post..... what the hell... :)

Years ago (years and years ago... :)) I was guiding a gentleman and we landed a 10lb-0oz large mouth in a small lake near the French River...

This weight was established on our "official" house scale only after a two hour hike out of the bush... lots of time to lose a few ounces.. (drying out)

For the next 15-20 years, NONE of the Ontario fishing contests came close to this big bass...

10lbs in the southern states is common.. 10lbs large mouth in northern Ontario is very rare...

the cap't... :canadian:

For those times we say "good fish" and love having our phones on us - a quick slide through some highlights tends to change their stories or end them quickly.

We used a scale for a short period of time last summer with bass to make sure we weren't miss quoting fish. Fortunately a PB smallie was caught in that short window that we can peg a weight. Other then that we stick to a picture and if asked a rough educated estimate that is usually slightly under what we think. Other species we aren't as familiar with get measured in length - pike, walleye, muskie - the scale rarely comes out.

A fish story is always a fish story without a video or photo... Gotta keep people honest! ;)

I think sometimes people just get a lil excited when a good fish gets a great picture(speaking more on the experienced anglers side). I've had lots of 3-3.5lb bass that look much bigger in the pic than they actually are, and vice versa. I tend to have some horrible photos of big walleye that measure over 30" but look to only be 6lbs or so in the photo. I love a good fishing story though so those that just downright lie about it I find it humerous. It's all fun and games when angling is a hobby and not a profession

I met this guy once up North, he was telling me about this MASSIVE Brook trout he caught. We went on about how long it took to bring it in and then finished off by saying the brookie weighed 12 lbs!

I replied...... "Nice fish, but your not gonna believe this.... You know that point over there by the over flow? Well, there is an old steamer by the name of MT Juliette, that sank from back in the logging days. It laid to rest in in 147 ft of water. it is one of my favorite places to jig for BIG Lakers on Nip. Well, wouldn't you know it, I hooked into something and brought it up. I knew I was on top of the ship cause what I brought up was a lantern. The name was boldly engraved MT Juliette in the solid brass base plate. The best part of the whole episode was that the wick was still lit!"

The guy replied to me..."Oh come on man, you expect me to believe that??? How the heck would the lantern still be lit after coming up from the bottom?"

I simply replied..."Tell ya what, I'll blow out the wick on the lantern if you want to knock 6 lbs off your Brookie".

He looked at me and with a flush face, he simply walked away.

Ron. You promised me that this story would be our little secret. :dunno: