Kahshe Lake

b_cdot

Hello everyone!

I am heading to Kahshe Lake next month for the first time for a few days. I love fishing for bass and pike and of course a few eyes are always nice bonus fish. I heard this is a great lake for fishing. I own a 17ft Crestliner Fish Hawk and she is my "baby" lol. All I have read about the lake is that it is a true nightmare for navigating with lots of unmarked rocky obstructions. I do truly like to explore new lakes and that usually means navigating shallower areas especially when fishing bass and pike. I have also read that county started an initiative to make a better effort to mark these areas that could cause potential harm to ppls boats. I welcome anyone who is familiar with the lake to please give me some advice and hopefully some peace of mind when navigating this lake next month.

Thanks

If your travelling relativey slow, your likely only to take out your prop. I did in one blade of a prop on crowe lake years ago and I was only doing a few MPHs. I'm not trying to put you off, because there is some decent fishing to be had, but be warned that even regular cottagers on the lake have been know to smash up a lower unit every so often....... It happened to me to the tune of 3k or thereabouts. I was doing about 25- 30km at the time in a location I "thought" I knew well, and a big old rock just rose up to meet me out of nowhere. Every year I hear of it happening to a neighbouring cottager or friend of friend at least once, so just be careful as not all obstructions are marked! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Good replies in this thread. Not sure if you've headed out yet now that it's August.. but I agree that the map is an estimation and doesn't include other rocks that may be lurking just underneath the surface. Luckily I didn't fall victim to these landmines while I was there for a week a couple weeks ago. I had some good success on the west end of the lake (the shallower part of the lake,) with some nice eating-size walleye, pike, and a good number of largemouth and smallies. All were caught on Berkley Gulp Alive 2" shiner minnows and shallow running perch-colored Cotton Cordell crankbaits. If you haven't headed out yet, good luck.

Edited by bartender1979

X2 for using your electric troller in unfamiliar areas. Having said that - I fished an area of the French in the morning, trolled through this one particulat spot, no problems. Took my wife for a leisurely boat ride through the same area, WHAM! $650.00 later my little 15 hp was repaired! Hate those rocks!!

How accurate are the navionics maps? Im heading there this weekend. My friends cottage is there, but still sort of worried as they normally dont head out to far to fish. Any areas worth concentrating on the lake, prob fish for largies and pike.

Thanks guys