Musky School?

Was out yesterday on a stretch of the Otonobee River fishing for bass, I was throwing spinner bait. We came to this one spot and i had a musky follow up to the boat...I don't figure 8 or anything just watch him sink back down...drifting along a few cast later another smaller one follows up. Said to the wife they must be nosey lol. next few casts i see a big flash and my bait goes side ways but, no fish, we drift down further, that tree hanging over the water has me wanting to go a lil deeper so i say to wife I'm going back up stream. The next few casts gave me 3 musky, the first 2 not to be landed but the 3rd bigger one was. Got it outa the net, quick pick and back in. i tell the wife to throw up in the lil bay there, i watch as an other musky grabs her bait. 1000th cast for you i say.

Now granted these were all small fish but in a 50 yard or less stretch there had to have been more then 1/2 a dozen musky?

Do musky generally school like this or why were they all hanging out here?

993607_10152985291965694_853335920_n.jpg

1044328_10152985296530694_132398516_n.jp

It's quite common to get a couple muskies from the same spot, specially if there's some good structure there. Whenever I release a musky, my next 1/2 dozen casts will be back to the same spot the 1st one came from. Doesn't always happen, but more times than alot of folks would think.

I was drifting through a small shallow stand of pencil reeds one time in about 2' of water and came across 7 fish all gathered in a spot not as big as my boat and all were at least 45"

And if your fishing for muskies, ALWAYS do a figure 8 and you'll see a huge increase in the number of fish you'll catch.

Edited by lew

Kawartha's musky are not a fish of a thousand cast. They fill the ecological niche that pike do there.They just attain a bigger size than pike. Come to Georgian Bay were the truly big musky are and they are the fish of 10,000 cast. Musky don't school so much as hunt the same piece of structure.

Kawartha's musky are not a fish of a thousand cast. They fill the ecological niche that pike do there.They just attain a bigger size than pike. Come to Georgian Bay were the truly big musky are and they are the fish of 10,000 cast. Musky don't school so much as hunt the same piece of structure.

There is some truth to this. While fun to catch, I sometimes find the bloody things a nuisance while pickerel fishing the kawarthas!