Report from the French

bigcreekdad

Just returned from 5 days of fishing the French out of Lochaven Lodge. THe lodge stay, as usual, was outstanding.

Weather wise, a real mix....hot and sunny, chilly and breezy, flat calm, high winds...both east and west/SW.

I took my son this trip, and I end up doing more general fishing (drifting with live bait) as it is easier for him, rather than my usual all out assault on muskie.

The biggest surprise, and a real pleasant one, was the walleye fishing. THe average walleye we caught was around 22 inches. We caught half a dozen above that up to 25 inches, and the day we took a guide for our annual shore lunch, our guide caught one that weighed 12 pounds. What a comeback for the walleye there. Whether it's catch and release, or the slot limit, the results are positive. LOchaven has an annual big fish contest ( most are released...a picture and an honest account are the only requirements). The largest so far is a 31 incher, and I heard there were several fish of 29-30 inches. Again, the vast majority of these are released.

This is probably the first trip I remember that I didn't at least see a muskie. I think this is more likely due to the lesser time I targeted them due to the walleye fishing. Pike fishing was OK, not great, but not poor. My largest was a 30 incher, which I caught on a fly rod. Bass fishing was not nearly as good as in prior years, but I think with the late Spring they were just coming off the spawn. That being said, one afternoon in a dead calm and hot sun, I had blast with a small rebel popper bounced off rock walls. Largest was 18.5 inches.

Overall, great trip. Heading back with both of my sons in August, then my annual solo trip in September.

Only downer was after loading boat on the trailer, we had just pulled onto highway 69 when a trailer tire blew. I figure, no sweat, I've got a spare. However, I then discovered I had the wrong size tire iron for the lug nuts. I figure, no problem, I'll call Sue at Lochaven and see if she knows someone to call and help me out. However, I then discover that my new iPhone's battery was dead, and they will not fire up by just plugging them into a charger. It takes awhile. So, there we sat. I finally just decided to wait for the phone to charge, and kept my raised hand out the window. After half an hour, I still had no phone, and no one on the very busy 69 had stopped. Finally, a guy with his wife in a pickup trying to enter 69 across from us pulled off. He had the right sized lug wrench, and in 15 minutes we were good to go. I tried to compensate him but he refused. He said he was a local farmer, and that farmers always help each other. Thank God for farmers and people like him. I'll try to remember that the next time I see someone stranded on the road. I've aided and towed boats on a few occasions, but I usually don't bother on the highway....not anymore.

Sorry for the length.

Where's the pics??!

It sounds like you guys had a real good time. It's really nice to see good reports from that part of the French. I've been skunked on walleye there...

Lesson leared about the trailer lug nuts. I'm gunna go check mine tomorrow. I always just assumed they where the same size as my car.

Thanks for the report. I'll be up on the French in the Dry Pine area in 2 weeks and am sooooooo looking forward to dragging some worm harnesses.

I've been going to the French since 1989, and I agree with you on the walleyes. It looks like the slot size restrictions, supplementary walleye stocking, etc. is working.

WR

At least the walters came out to play. You (and your son) will cherish the time together, even if you had to modify your tactics. Good on you for doing this.

Good luck in August and September. This September, I am bypassing Wolseley and spending the two weeks down the road at Rainbow. I seem to have better luck there over the past couple years with Muusky. All the years at Wolseley, I have set to actually land one.

By the way - how were the water levels ? One pic I saw a while back, the level was up pretty good there at Wolseley.

Rich

Water levels were close to normal. However, I was up at the end of May and they were the highest I've ever seen. Levels between then and my recent trip had to be down 5-6 feet.

Is Rainbow a lodge? Also, how is your musky success there. Surprised you haven't fared better on musky out of Wolsey area. Did you venture out well beyond the bay?