The newest addition To my canoe

Broker

Hey, so as some of you may know I have been working to get a small fish able boat this year to get into the lakes with and a creek nearby aswell. I've had the canoe for almost a month and I've been waiting to buy a trolling motor. I made a motor mount for it that's been sitting around waiting for when they go on sale, and today was the day! $95! So off I went and picked it up, I think a fish finder will be next! Any suggestions?

null-1.jpg

Edited by shasta

Looks great I fish from a canoe as well. I have a similair setup and love it. Ive aldo added outriggers that stanilize it enough to stand and move around even land fish! Dont know how to post pics or i would...

Yes definitely you have to have an operators card, luckily before I went on my trip to the cottage last year..I double checked to see if a trolling motor requires an operator card. Sure enough it did! Only 3 days left to spare, I stayed up late and studied and did the course as quick as I could and passed the last day.

The one thing I'd like to ask, without some kind of stabilizer on standard canoes (no flat back), won't that cause a lot of instability while trolling around?

Personally I didn't notice the difference with the motor on it or off, however my canoe is more stable than others usually are. If I do end up finding it unstable I would look into outriggers, but I have no idea how to go about making those.

Personally I didn't notice the difference with the motor on it or off, however my canoe is more stable than others usually are. If I do end up finding it unstable I would look into outriggers, but I have no idea how to go about making those.

I'm making some today actually, the ones in store are like $400 :wacko: I'll post some pics once they're done.

home depot and some Canadian tires sell square aluminum tubing, some hardware, c-clamps and buoys from the marine section and you're in business for about 100 bucks

when I was a kid I used a few c-lamps, broken hockey sticks and those 5L refillable water bottles, lot of duct tape...worked but wasn't very pretty

just curious, I don't see the beer holder, errr, I mean the Gatorade holder....

Yeah my canoe kind of sucks stability wise, especially when a 2nd person is in it..even though it is rated for it. I've been thinking of how to put outriggers on it so I can stand in it, but I'm not "very" handy. lol Plus like you stated, I'd like one that would be easily removed for transportation.

Yeah my canoe kind of sucks stability wise, especially when a 2nd person is in it..even though it is rated for it. I've been thinking of how to put outriggers on it so I can stand in it, but I'm not "very" handy. lol Plus like you stated, I'd like one that would be easily removed for transportation.

Yeah I need easily removable because most of my transportation is done by carrying or hauling the canoe on trail to different spot on the river nearby, anyone have any suggestions on fish finders?

I have pics of my outriggers. Just better at building those than posting pics... How do i post pics?

If you make a photobucket account, then upload your pictures there, then when you want to post a picture copy the direct link on photobucket and insert into into the image drop down. Then your done! Hope that helps!

I have a 15'6" gruman and added a 30 minnkota endura to it.Balance didn't seem to be a issue,but went pretty good down the river at full speed :w00t: .lol.

I used unistrut and a piece of wood where the motor hooks on.Enough room beside it to put my portable Eagle fish easy.What a blast.

I JUST finished building my outriggers for my canoe yesterday, and took it out for a test and tune, it worked perfect!! I fit myself and two friends in the canoe and we all brought a pole and some lures, test and tune and some fish caught was a great two hour test drive for my canoe training wheels lol..

My outriggers break down into 3 pieces so they are able to be transported easily and I am able to adjust the floats vertically and to mount it to my canoe I used 2 "U-Bolt Strut Beam Clamps" this way I do not need to drill anything into my canoe, the beam claps tighten the cross member of the outrigger just using the inner or outer lip of the canoe.

I did not want to use pool noodles or anything, I wanted to use old floats or something, but I was going nuts looking for something cheap, therefore went with jumbo pool noodles yesterday to get it out and they worked great!

Anyways, here are a couple pictures of my home made PVC, fully adjustable canoe outriggers.

photo3_zps5dd23c62.jpg

photo4_zps8f956443.jpg

photo5_zps0a015898.jpg

Next is a trolling motor and portable fish finder for me lol