ford freestar

bow slayer

My wife is looking at a ford freestar van,just wondering if anyone owns one or knows anything about problems with these vans. I have herd there is problems with the tranny in some of the older ones,the one she is looking at is 2006. Any advice on this vehicle is greatly appreciated.

Edited by bowslayer

You have to drop the subframe to get the tranny out with out pulling the motor ( not fun in the driveway). Other than that ours has 280k pulling a tent trailer all over northamerica Starting to rust out in the rockers , but all in all not bad. Not good on fuel. My 4 door f150 gets better mileage.

I had a rebuild at 225000, and the torque convertor was finally recalled just this spring

have you had any serious tranny problems with them...that seems to be the main concern and if so at what about what mileage? thanks

If you are towing a boat with it sounds like its just about had it !!!!!!! And if it breaks down while towing your boat you are now in an even bigger jam !!!!! Get something a little newer or one whith out tranny recalls its not if it breaks it's when !!!! That would be your weekend fishing trip down the drain .... Just sayin

well most people she has talked to have tried to steer her away from it,she works a couple hours a week at a ford dealer and most are telling her to stay clear,even thou the van has been dealer serviced and very well taken care of. Bit of a bummer cause she was getting it real cheap from the dealership,but now she thinks she will wait to something else gets traded in.

well most people she has talked to have tried to steer her away from it,she works a couple hours a week at a ford dealer and most are telling her to stay clear,even thou the van has been dealer serviced and very well taken care of. Bit of a bummer cause she was getting it real cheap from the dealership,but now she thinks she will wait to something else gets traded in.

Sounds like that may be a good idea.I'm sure something else will come along.Good luck!

Is she strictly looking for a van? I would stay clear away from that thing.

Why not try and convince her to look at a SUV? If seating is the problem, there are alot of reliable 7 seaters on the market.

We already have a 08 ford explorer,she needs a van for her job or else she would be driving anything but a van.lol