banner day on balsam

beagle dad

As said earlier ,glad you had a great day. . Were all dealt a somewhat new set of cards from years ago. Let's live with what we have,have fun fishing,and if there is a cycle,let's hope things go back to what they once was. What else can you do?.

It's not just balsam lake either pike have spread all through Haliburton as well !!!!!! The beech lake maple and grass lake chain all have pike now as well as boshkung and they are spreading like crazy I reported my pike catch 3 years ago to the MNR in minden and I gave them a picture of it as well and they just said they are there to stay now and are established !!!!!! And that same chain has muskies too !!!!! Big trouble on the horizon

Seems that in smaller, shallow Kawartha lakes (Mitchell, Canal, Percy's Reach) the pike take over.

In larger, deeper lakes (maybe Pigeon, Buckhorn, etc....), there is a good chance they co-exist as musky spawn in and live in deeper waters. There are many examples of larger bodies of water where both species live.

WHAT YOU THINK MUSKIES IN THE KAWARTHAS EAT STEAK???

as per studies MNR/SSFC... THE #1 FOOD SOURCE FOR MUSKIES IN THE KAWARTHAS WALLEYE!!!!!!!!!

Where can I read this study? I don't believe it for a minute. Who wrote this thesis?

I would think #1 would be perch, as the kawarthas are littered with them.

That being said, it never fails when I visit the k-lakes - EVERYTIME I jig for walleye, one gets eaten by a musky on the way up during the day at some point.

If I am not mistaken, different strains of muskies spawn in different areas - some in deep water, some in the shallows like pike - I would imagine the Kawartha strain spawns shallow - and the tigers coming out of Balsam probably prove this. As mentioned, maybe in the Kawartha lakes with deeper waters the muskies will adapt and spawn deeper and the two species can co-exist like they do in Gbay and certain other bodies of water. Maybe stocking of that strain in the future?

I think the Darryl Choronzey comment was to suggest a solution - if he had a few pike fishing episodes filmed in the Kawarthas with his famous shore lunches the pike population would be greatly reduced lol!

Pete