trailering

mcdougy

I have never had a stern mount trolling motor till now, Ive never paid attention to what everyone does with it while trailering the boat. Could you people tell me what you do with your transom mount electric motors while going down the highway?

Cheers Matt

What Drifter said..

Just make sure you set it in place good and tight.

I also use one of my mooring ropes, and give it a few wraps around the motor mounting base.....Just in case something breaks, and it falls off.. I don't want it to end up through someone windshield behind me.

The motor part is the heaviest, down by the prop. So I always try to get that as close the mounting bracket as possible when tailoring. Least amount of stress on the plastic mounting bracket.

Unclamp it and place it on the floor of the boat. If not then vertical puts the stress in line with the transom which will prevent any damage. If you leave it in the horizontal then it is has the leverage and the weight to torque the transom. A strong transom though should not have an issue with a horizontal electrical trolling motor.

Art

Unclamp it and place it on the floor of the boat. If not then vertical puts the stress in line with the transom which will prevent any damage. If you leave it in the horizontal then it is has the leverage and the weight to torque the transom. A strong transom though should not have an issue with a horizontal electrical trolling motor.

Art

x2 what Art said and if you stop somewhere for lunch/gas put it in the truck, how long does it take to unwind a couple of wingnuts.

I wasnt sure if placing it on the floor of the boat would cause damage to it or not. i built a motor box for the outboard and put it on the floor, vs leaving it hanging on the transom. Maybe I will do the same with the trolling motor. Cheers and thanks for the advice. Matt

I will be in the picton area this weekend and may have an open seat if anyones looking.