wiring for a travel rv trailer

super dave

I'm considering getting a travel RV trailer. My truck currently has a 4 plug wiring system installed but I need a 7 wiring system. Does anyone know how this could be done? Is it simple enough that I could do it?

Also need to install a electric tow braking system. Any comments on that? Is a Rev dealer the only place I can get this done?

Thank you in advance!!!

Dave,

I was lazy and had my Mechanic install my Brake Controller and wiring harness. I bought the Brake Controller in the States from Camping World and got a good deal on it. I also bought a converter to be able to switch my 7 pin connector back to 4 pin for the utility trailer.

Sorry I can't be any better help to you.

Edited by Rattletrap2

Number one, what brand of truck and how old? Most (about 2000 and newer) domestics and some imports have a plug under the dash that the wiring harness for the brake controller plugs into. Unfortunately those that don't means more work. If you don't have the trailer package, then you need to run at least one more wire from the front to rear 7 pin connector. Left/Right/Park/Trailer Brake/Ground. The other 2 are for reverse lights on trailer and one to charge the trailer battery, I don't use either of those two. Most of the brake controllers come with pretty explicit instructions, pay real close attention to the colour codes, white is negative, black is positive, blue is trailer brake and the other colour(usually red or red stripped) is the tow vehicle brake signal to turn the brake controller on. If you have to add wiring through the firewall, sometimes theres a rubber plug than can be knocked out or poked through to get the wiring through it and run it along the frame rails to the back. You can get rid of the rear 4 pin conector and run those wires into the 7 pin. If you ever need to use a 4 pin connector, there are adapters readily available. More questions, ask away. If you don't do it yourself, I would go to an RV place. They install enough of them to prevent problems that some have no idea what they're doing.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and go get it done by someone that is qualified and experienced. If you do it yourself and the brakes fail for any reason and there is an accident, you might have a problem with your insurance company! Could end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

thanks everyone for the replies.

BC, yes i pretty much realized that after the first post. Youtube makes it look so simple! already calling around to get quotes. two people have said the labout is about 2-3 hours and the brake controller ranges from 100-200. So i'm looking at around $500 total. does that sound about right?

thanks everyone for the replies.

BC, yes i pretty much realized that after the first post. Youtube makes it look so simple! already calling around to get quotes. two people have said the labout is about 2-3 hours and the brake controller ranges from 100-200. So i'm looking at around $500 total. does that sound about right?

2-3 hours, that's criminal. Maybe with a couple coffe breaks and lunch included. Princess Auto carries the brake controllers from $85 to $130.

2-3 hours, that's criminal. Maybe with a couple coffe breaks and lunch included. Princess Auto carries the brake controllers from $85 to $130.

for the brake controller only it shouldn't take very long at all and anyone who can match colors can do it. my truck came with a tow package and already had the 4 pin and 7 pin installed. it took about 10 minutes to wire and mount the brake controller in the RV dealers parking lot...

installing the 7 pin yourself should take an hour or so, maybe two at the most. the only "hard" part might be running the two wires for constant power (to turn on lights in a trailer and such) and for the brakes.

Installing a controller isn't worth 500$

You can get a decent one for about 75$ , the adapter pig tail is usually hidden in the jack stowage ( if not there about 20$ at any parts store ) the connection is under the steering column , near the OBD scan port , then you'll need a 7pin female connector for the hitch end , a good unit that has 7 & 4 or 5 pin , since you have an import odds are you'll need a 4 to 5 pin converter somewhere in your wiring so another 60$ ..

So about 140$ + a case of beer and a good buddy in your driveway for about 30 minutes ...

With the cash you save it can pay for an extra few trips worth of gas to do some RVing .

:)

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon