A Ray of Sunshine, and hope for those who still suffer

mercman

it is very refreshing to hear feel good stories like this. Very big congrats on such as huge accomplishment. With what you've gone through the past year and not going astray is another success on its own. I look forward to a post like this one every year. Be proud of what you have done!

Nick

I'd like to echo much of what was said above, but the post below mirrors my thoughts!

Awesome Paul, although I don't know you, im proud of you my man..Your story im sure is inspiration to many keep spreading the great word. Oh and Congrats on the new lady friend.. I wish you both the best!

Congrats Paul. As you know I also struggle with that Demon, but am sober myself and loving life right now. Keep up the good fight buddy and I'm glad things are looking up for you. Enjoy it!!!

Thanks Joey. You are not alone.If you ever feel the urge, and need a reason to fight it, picture a big lad, liver swollen out of proportion, blood trickling from the corners of his mouth,and other places, desperately trying to keep the 6AM beer in his stomach so he could function till noon. That was me girl. It breaks my heart when i think of it now.

Paul

Why Thanks KF !!! Sad fact is, only 1 in 10 are ever able to achieve and maintain sobriety foor any length of time. You can honor the inspiration by keeping in mind, the next time you see a drunk, that it is NOT how he wants to live his life.

Remove the booze, and he returns to the man or woman that he or she should have been. My drinking almost killed me. I am lucky.... hundreds of thousands are not.

Paul

You are lucky sir. Even more fortunate because you realize just how lucky you are.

I watched alcohol kill my grandfather. Depression was the root of his troubles. He tried to deal it with booze.

A viscious cycle that he could never break.

You'll never know how much I wish he could have been the man "he should have been".

Glad you made it back.

Edited by kwikfish

Your story is indeed an inspiration. i have a real good friend who will not come to terms with his alcohol problem. He has three kids and a wife and I see all of them suffer from his addiction, daily. I tried my best to help him out but eventually you have to sit back and hope fate will do the work. So I have essentially refused contact with him until he gets some help. It's sad to have to do that with such a good friend, but I need to get it through his head that his drinking IS a problem, and it is hurting his life.

Congratulations Paul, this is a great story for those still battling the demon bottle. My father in law had serious problems and would often get into heated arguments with my wife over his abuse of said liquor. In the end, it probably lead to his death but he couldn't give up his wine. Think a box of wine before noon type of addiction, it was hard to watch and the family tried their best but you can only do so much.

Thankfully you made the right decision and you now get to share your life with a new partner ! Enjoy your new freedom, it's well earned and deserved.

Your story is indeed an inspiration. i have a real good friend who will not come to terms with his alcohol problem. He has three kids and a wife and I see all of them suffer from his addiction, daily. I tried my best to help him out but eventually you have to sit back and hope fate will do the work. So I have essentially refused contact with him until he gets some help. It's sad to have to do that with such a good friend, but I need to get it through his head that his drinking IS a problem, and it is hurting his life.

Sometimes tough love may be the answer...mention AA

Edited by Beans

Congrats Paul. As you know I also struggle with that Demon, but am sober myself and loving life right now. Keep up the good fight buddy and I'm glad things are looking up for you. Enjoy it!!!

Joey, I don't know how you do it but...you get better lookin' every day :whistling::clapping:

Congratulations Paul, this is a great story for those still battling the demon bottle. My father in law had serious problems and would often get into heated arguments with my wife over his abuse of said liquor. In the end, it probably lead to his death but he couldn't give up his wine. Think a box of wine before noon type of addiction, it was hard to watch and the family tried their best but you can only do so much.

Thankfully you made the right decision and you now get to share your life with a new partner ! Enjoy your new freedom, it's well earned and deserved.

Thanks so much.....My new Love was married to an active drunk, for 20 years.When i told her i was an alcoholic, she said " No way !!! You don't drink, how can you be an alcoholic?" We spent hours shareing on this subject, and one of the reasons we see eye to eye, is because i know what she went through liveing with a drunk, and she knows how i got sober, and why he could not.

He died of alcohol related illness at 44 years old, one year after she left him. You should never feel responsible for an alcoholic drinking. No one and no thing can make an alcoholic stop drinking, but himself.Let his familly know, that they could never have MADE him stop.I reached my bottom before i died, most die before they reach the bottom.

Paul

Thanks Joey. You are not alone.If you ever feel the urge, and need a reason to fight it, picture a big lad, liver swollen out of proportion, blood trickling from the corners of his mouth,and other places, desperately trying to keep the 6AM beer in his stomach so he could function till noon. That was me girl. It breaks my heart when i think of it now.

Paul

Thanks Paul, will definately reach out if I have the need. I have alot of support on the homefront too, so that helps!

Joey, I don't know how you do it but...you get better lookin' every day :whistling::clapping: