When Do Crappies Spawn?

Rich

Put a slaying on the slabs yesterday, landed probably 30 in total myself, brought home 7 of the bigger ones and was surprised / saddened to see they were all full of eggs. I thought they spawned much earlier than this! Water temps in the high 50's where I was catching them..

Edited by Rich

They usually spawn out after they disappear from the deep water points. If you are catching them in 6ft or less of water and the area in shallows are showing circle (spawning beds) then the spawn has started. The good news is if you take a few for the pan you will not hurt the crappie population just hold off the fish fry till after if you can. lol

Art

Flipping a Bitsy bug? :rofl2:

I think they spawn in 60 to high 60's....

Lol no, but quite a few on the Mini King ;)

Thanks for the info. I always thought they spawned in much colder water than that. I doubt my 7 fish will have an impact, but it still feels wrong, lol. Meh.

As the water heats up, once again crappie will head to shallow
water.
As soon as 66-68 degrees is reached, the spawn will commence.

when the water column is 62/64 deg F the bass spawn
and it must stay that temp during the making of the bed...
finding a mate and doing the deed..

Maybe most know this, but some assume because you are getting them shallow and in back bays it is because they are spawning or spawned out.

They are actually there because the "pinner" minnows are. Find northern shallow bays, darker the bottom the better and or wood (docks, lay downs, stumps)they retain heat from the sun longer and the pinners stick around.

The craps push the minnows to the end of bays/marinas/cuts/docks and gourge on'em.

Right now is one of my fav time to get beauty crappie as they move off the super shallows and stage on the first break or weed growth of the year. Small cranks or jerkbaits can get you into some giants!

They move up after bass and finish the deal ike Terry said. however, I've seen some go at the same time. On Scugog especially.

Edited by Harrison