Goodbye Little Cleo

Just a heads up, my 86 year old mother was involved in a serious collision yesterday just outside of Woodbridge Ont just north of TO. The car was a write off, fortunately she survived :clapping: and is being held for observation for a couple of days,,,and she was not at fault either, just difficult being this far away when something like that happens. (but she is a tough old farm girl from TJs neck of the woods)

She has always had the philosophy that the cup is half full not half empty, carrying on that tradition I decided to go out on the ice for a bit of quiet time after digesting the news and drop a line and try my luck at fishing, being thankful for what I still have.

Well it took 2 years to write a poem so I could use that to propose to my wife, believe me I am not the artsy type, but this came to mind while getting a tug on the line yesterday, I actually ad libbed my wife's poem,,,,here goes hope u enjoy

Roses are red

Violets are blue

My little cleo was silver and blue

Your surface was like rubies

Your hooks were like sapphires

You always presented yourself

In the greatest attires

Your character was like that of the Maple Leafs

You were always persistent

Regardless of the disbeliefs

We had a 6 year relationship

Which started at the CTC Barrie south store

Today was your day, today was game on

You faced that BEAST like an Alice Cooper rock song

You fought a tough battle

You did your job well

But the line that tied us together

Did not fare so well

The raveges of the teeth were too much to bare,

The reel was smokin

He dragged you away without a care

And with a sinking heart

All I could do was look down the hole and stare

But no worries my friend

Theres more fishing days ahead

Maybe I will catch him again someday

And you'll be back in the old homestead

Compartment number three

Right beside the glowing jig head :whistling::whistling: LOL

Hope it made someones day, and made you laugh anybody else lost a favourite piece of tackle

Blizz

acme-little-cleo.jpg

Well John... just something about the way I was raised or the fact my Mother is gone. A balance in there somewhere and the offer is genuine!

Thanks Wayne I know your genuine, I may take u up on the offer we will see how she fairs tommorow. This was real and I was hoping it would inspire some others to see the positive side of life and maybe count their blessings. But maybe to some those things are not important anymore

I am sorry to hear about your mom it is so tough when they are in pain. I will offer up a few prayers for her I am sure the Big Guy already is doing his best for her.

As for the poem......well........ummmmm......don't quit your day job. Lol

Art

Sorry to hear about your mom man.

The poem was good for a morning chuckle!

Thanks NAW, she's banged up a bit but she is bouncing back, the main thing is you had a laugh re the poem, she is a great one to down play the neg and dwell on the positve

I am sorry to hear about your mom it is so tough when they are in pain. I will offer up a few prayers for her I am sure the Big Guy already is doing his best for her.

As for the poem......well........ummmmm......don't quit your day job. Lol

Art

Thanks Art, she said on the phone last night "it might be a couple of days before I put my jogging shoes on" LOL, she is a tough one for sure.

I was going to give you my first autographed copy, the poem is already at the publishers LOL

Sorry to hear, I live in Woody and heard nothing on the news, hope she will be well soon. Mothers are special.

Thanks, when I saw where u live I thought that was pretty cool. The family dates back in the Woodbridge area since the latter 1800s, one of the original homesteaders, I have old old pics from my mom of the area that would blow your mind away. When growing up we only had one policeman in town and he went home at 6pm. If u needed assistance after hours you had to go to his home. The only time he used his red light was for the Santa Claus parade, sometimes he had to tap it to make it work. When he had a day off the Maple Police filled in . I will have to give u a call sometime,

She should be out of the hospital Sunday, thanks again for your thoughts, really appreciated.

Sorry to hear about you mom, it can be tough being far from someone that you need to be with. I can tell you He made those folks from the 20's as tough as iron. I got a call 2 weeks ago from a very close dear friend telling me his 92 year old dad was in intensive care in Hamilton. The priest had been in to see him and Dominic and the family was staying at his bedside around the clock.

Tonight I sat with that tough old nut at a stag party for his future grandson and had a glass of wine with him!!!!!!!!!! 2 weeks ago he was on his death bed. He told me that he saw St. Peter and was told to get his ass back home because his grand daughter was getting married in a few months and momma needed a date.

Chin up bro, she's going to be fine.

Thanks, when I saw where u live I thought that was pretty cool. The family dates back in the Woodbridge area since the latter 1800s, one of the original homesteaders, I have old old pics from my mom of the area that would blow your mind away. When growing up we only had one policeman in town and he went home at 6pm. If u needed assistance after hours you had to go to his home. The only time he used his red light was for the Santa Claus parade, sometimes he had to tap it to make it work. When he had a day off the Maple Police filled in . I will have to give u a call sometime,

She should be out of the hospital Sunday, thanks again for your thoughts, really appreciated.

I'll kee an eye out for her if she is out jogging! I've been here 20 years and love the place. The surrounding forests the two Humber rivers at gorgeous, the odd log cabin adds character.

If you remember the one on Clarence, by the river, they took that down :( I tink they moved it.

If you ever come down would love to chat. Scan those pictures and make copies, they are valuable.

Albert

If you ver come down

Sorry to hear about you mom, it can be tough being far from someone that you need to be with. I can tell you He made those folks from the 20's as tough as iron. I got a call 2 weeks ago from a very close dear friend telling me his 92 year old dad was in intensive care in Hamilton. The priest had been in to see him and Dominic and the family was staying at his bedside around the clock.

Tonight I sat with that tough old nut at a stag party for his future grandson and had a glass of wine with him!!!!!!!!!! 2 weeks ago he was on his death bed. He told me that he saw St. Peter and was told to get his ass back home because his grand daughter was getting married in a few months and momma needed a date.

Chin up bro, she's going to be fine.

Thanks Old Ironmaker, so happy to hear about your friends recovery, thanks for the kind words, I'll tell that story to my mom tonight, that will cheer her up, she should be home tommorow, I can tell she is feeling better, she is complaining about the hospital food LOL

I'll kee an eye out for her if she is out jogging! I've been here 20 years and love the place. The surrounding forests the two Humber rivers at gorgeous, the odd log cabin adds character.

If you remember the one on Clarence, by the river, they took that down :( I tink they moved it.

If you ever come down would love to chat. Scan those pictures and make copies, they are valuable.

Albert

If you ver come down

Thanks again, we lived in the house beside the laneway on Clarence north side, dad built the house, he was born across the road where the golf course is, his mom was born and lived in a house at the very base of old church st and his moms mom was born and raised in a small home at the base of the hill that leads up to the fairgrounds, Dad had 5 acres and 5 cabins on the property where the house stands, people used to come up from Toronto and rent them on the weekends, after the hurricane came thru the govt took 4.5 acres away to realign the river, sadly mom had to sell the house last fall after being in it for almost 67 years, but fortunately she has moved in with my sister just a couple of miles up on clarence, all the spruce trees were planted by dad after the hurricane, ironically a few were taken out when the tornado came thru a few years back.

John

Sorry about your mom, glad she is okay.

Loved the poem :)

Thanks Joey, maybe it will inspire the Leafs as well LOL, it was a pleasure hearing the birds singing the past couple of days,,,,,,,celebrating life,, u know what I mean. She has only been in a plane once in her life, we are hoping she will be up to making a plane ride up to Yellowknife this summer, as obviously she has never been, thanks again all of you for thinking about us, we don't know many people up here and to read the postings from all of you are appreciated

John

How Ironic, I just drove on Clarence one hour ago. I'm the end of Claremce and just west, where Eddie Shack had his golf course. THe log cabin I told you about is gone :( and replaced witha "box".

I had and old map I found on the net may years ago and lost it and it even showed the island in the midle of the Humber where the two branches meet. I have to find it again. On another note, I saw evidence of beaver just at the Langstaff bridge just east of Islington, nice to see them in there.

How long have you been gone? This area charges by the week. Reeves garden centre has been gone for a while and is now home to million dollar homes?

How Ironic, I just drove on Clarence one hour ago. I'm the end of Claremce and just west, where Eddie Shack had his golf course. THe log cabin I told you about is gone :( and replaced witha "box".

I had and old map I found on the net may years ago and lost it and it even showed the island in the midle of the Humber where the two branches meet. I have to find it again. On another note, I saw evidence of beaver just at the Langstaff bridge just east of Islington, nice to see them in there.

How long have you been gone? This area charges by the week. Reeves garden centre has been gone for a while and is now home to million dollar homes?

Just 16 months

I don't know exactly where she is but I do go up Clarence a lot and if by chance I see her out with walking I may stop and say hello. The people who live/ contributed in our life style should be admired. Wallace House is a thing of beauty, did your family know them?

I don't know exactly where she is but I do go up Clarence a lot and if by chance I see her out with walking I may stop and say hello. The people who live/ contributed in our life style should be admired. Wallace House is a thing of beauty, did your family know them?

yes for sure I will pm you later today.