Buckhorn dam high water pics !!

fishindevil

Great pictures Shaun, I crossed over that bridge a few days ago and could hear the roar of the water.

If you don't mind, I'll add a few pictures I took yesterday in Lakefield, a few lakes downstream from Buckhorn.

This is the Lakefield dam at the north end of the Ottonabee River where it flows south from Lake Katchawanooka .

002-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

Most the water from the Kawartha Lakes has to pass down this narrow channel all the way to Rice Lake. I think the guys looking after the system do a pretty good job of controlling the flooding.

These waves are prolly 5' high.

010.jpg

Here's a couple osprey sitting 30' above the rapids wishing all the noise from the rushing water would end.

011-1.jpg

I took this picture of the Youngs Point lock last Sunday showing how high the water was

017.jpg

Same lock yesterday but now the water is another foot higher and is up over top of the concrete sidewalks.

015-1.jpg

I've been around this river 40 years and don't recall the water level being this high before.

Edited by lew

Great pics Fishindevil I know those waters well. I have a cottage on the lower Buckhorn lake about half way down the lake guess I won't be fishing around there for a while it is a sanctuary anyways so it doesn't open until a couple weeks after the walleye opener so hopefully it will calm down by then.

Kawartha Kev

Looks like the water level has dropped a bit from yesterday as the picture from Reach Harbour is showing the some of the small docks on the right side of the picture just floating on top of the water and yesterday they were submerged.

Edited by Kawartha Kev