A knot for Nonofil

Sharkbait22

Without getting into a debate about Nanofil I'm interested to know what you are using for a knot. I'd like to use a simple knot for tying with cold hands and poor light conditions. Having one knot that works for mono, floro, braid, and fused would be a bonus but not likely. I've been testing lines in my garage using a digital weighing scale. Using Trilene or Raven 12lb test I'm getting line breaks at 15-17lbs using a Trilene knot! The fishing fool knot seems to work ok for nano. This involves two loops through the eye and then a uni knot. I can't seem to get the suggested Nanofil knot (double Palomar) to work. The other knot, double Albright, is hellish to tie.

My frustration with this line stems from fishing for steelhead with 10lb Nanofil on a Calutta D200 for the first time. First time on a baitcaster was frustrating enough nevermind the knot breakage :wallbash: I thought baitcasting would be easy but I get less tangles Walis casting on a pin! Keep in mind I've got the anti-backlash dial turned way down so I free spool. I might need to change this.

Before I pack it in with this line and put some mono on I'd like to hear some friendly advice. Thanks

i've been using nanofill on a few light baitcasters with zero issues, maybe bunches a tiny bit more if you're not careful...I can see why you would want to use it on a baitcaster for steelheading, sensitive bottom bouncing and you get great drifts, the wind will pick it up off the water

to make retying terminal tackle easier, have you thought about running a leader? albright/improved albright knot, and 10' of mono or fluoro

on the calcutta you would still want your vbs brakes engaged, maybe 4 instead of the 2 or 3 I think is most common, that won't affect your freespool when you drift...but if you're casting a light setup, the pin is still the way to go

Edited by bare foot wader

Improved clinch was my go to knot, but when I started using braided lines it slipped too much and I switched. Check-out the web sites for the brand you are using, most of them will have knots that they have tested. Not all knots will work in all situations.

My line is green not white. It's hard to see and half the diameter of equivalent mono. Even 10lb can cut into your hands. As mentioned, it floats and has no stretch. What not to like. For knots I'll keeping trying the 'Nanofil' knot aka palomar with a double loop and try some others on the net. I'll adjust the reel brakes which will help a lot. BTW it effortlessly cast a mile. It's a sweet rig. I went 1 for 3 the first outing and would have had more if I was getting tangles etc fixed.

Nanofil is a wicked line for jigging when it's not too much of an abrasive bottom.

Other than that I don't get any other use out of it.

That being said, I like the 8lb test. I tried 12 and it didnt behave like the 8lb at all. But thats on a spinning set up, I've never used it on a baitcaster.

I just use the double palomar and never have issues with it, other than the first time I tried the line and didnt make a good accurate knot

Edited by manitoubass2